Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Looking at V40 D2 - Advice (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=228072)

chiptivo Apr 20th, 2015 18:58

Looking at V40 D2 - Advice

Hello, I am looking at a V40 R Design D2 that has done over 50k of miles.
2 years old.

I know it is a high mileage car for its age, but not expecting this to be a problem. I only do about 8k a year and this ticks all the boxes.

What do I have to be worried about?
I did want a D3 for the extra acceleration, but have been reading that the D3 is a 5 cylinder clatter box?? Any thoughts on this guys?

My current car is a D5 S60, will I be saddened by the lack of power?

Last question, will I have DPF issues, I thought I read that the DPF has to be replaced at 75k?

Thanks in advance. :)

volvorocks Apr 20th, 2015 19:02

The DPF that needs replacing at 75k is the one on the 1.6d which runs off a fluid additive. The D2 DPF doesn't so doesn't need replacing.

If you are used to a D5, you will probably miss the power by going for a D2, although the D2 is best served in the V40, whereas in other models (imo) it struggles.

If you only do 8k a year why not go for petrol?

Regards

chiptivo Apr 20th, 2015 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1898312)

If you only do 8k a year why not go for petrol?

Regards

I have always had Diesels, love the tractor noise and turbo pick up.

Also, economy?

volvorocks Apr 20th, 2015 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiptivo (Post 1898325)
I have always had Diesels, love the tractor noise and turbo pick up.

You will like the D3 then..lol....No real experience of D3 in the V40 although my XC60 D5 5 cyl is a bit like a tractor..!!

Regards

wilkhaven Apr 20th, 2015 22:59

i have no issues with my 5 cylinder D3, personally I think it's very quiet and smooth. I was given a brand new D2 for the day the other week when mine went in to the dealers for a couple of issues, all I can say is I'm so glad I didn't buy one as it felt really 'gutless' compared to bigger D3.

civilservant Apr 21st, 2015 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiptivo (Post 1898307)
I did want a D3 for the extra acceleration, but have been reading that the D3 is a 5 cylinder clatter box?? Any thoughts on this guys?

I had a D5 V70 previously and now own a D3 V40. There is ample acceleration in the D3 if needed and it's certainly not a "clatter box" and in my opinion, is a refined as the D5. You still get the burble of the 5 pot engine and if economy is a consideration, stepping down to the D3 or D4 does make sense whilst retaining some degree of acceleration.

chiptivo Apr 21st, 2015 21:31

About to order a V40 D2 R

Not sure I am doing the right thing.. More reading to be done tonight...

volvorocks Apr 21st, 2015 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiptivo (Post 1899124)
About to order a V40 D2 R

Not sure I am doing the right thing.. More reading to be done tonight...

When you say ''about to order'', I presume you are now talking new?

If so all cars will have the new VEA engines so anything said thus far in this thread will have no meaning, as no one has one! (D2 & D3 VEA).

If going new I would choose the D3 150, and you will be pleased you spent the extra grand or so.

Regards

chiptivo Apr 21st, 2015 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1899131)
When you say ''about to order'', I presume you are now talking new?

If so all cars will have the new VEA engines so anything said thus far in this thread will have no meaning, as no one has one! (D2 & D3 VEA).

If going new I would choose the D3 150, and you will be pleased you spent the extra grand or so.

Regards

About 9 months old. 3k miles. Not the new VEA engine...

Still ok.. :/

volvorocks Apr 21st, 2015 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiptivo (Post 1899136)
About 9 months old. 3k miles. Not the new VEA engine...

Still ok.. :/

Have you checked the online brokers price for new? Nice discount generally around £4k or so, free servicing or £300/£500 servicing plans and of course full warrranty and breakdown?

Regards