Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 stolen from driveway (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289773)

AJC30 Dec 23rd, 2018 18:21

Nothing 👍 it took me awhile to type my reply I submitted it and when I looked it appeared after yours, I’ll try to speed up my typing skills 🤣🤣

AJC30 Dec 23rd, 2018 18:32

Sorry bloke I’ve just answered what I assumed was a question by Ringthane, but to answer your question there is a difference in size you can only fit one fob and a credit card in mine the one Ringthane posted has much more space I believe.

Black dog Dec 23rd, 2018 19:04

How I love my s60 wich needs a key to start it. A key was a great invention. Why did they stop using them?

St Evelyn Dec 23rd, 2018 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaby (Post 2478352)
What a wonderful feature this is :rolleyes:

Personally I love my keyless entry and wouldn't want to be without it - we've had it on cars since 2012 and never encountered the sort of issues that many others have described around theft; there again, we live in a quiet town out in the 'shire, so not really the same risk as in a big city.
I guess everything has pros and cons - living away from a city is great for insurance prices and security, not so good for convenience and job prospects, unless you're happy to do a long commute. Keyless is equally a feature with massive pros from our perspective, but a serious con given certain (quite common) criteria. Personally, my keys are kept on the far side of our bungalow and likely out of range, whilst my wife's are normally in the kitchen, as are the spares....probably within range if someone were to choose to target us. Whilst we love our cars, ultimately they're insured and replaceable - being in a low-risk area the risk of theft is a trade-off I'm happy to take for the convenience that keyless provides us. Of course, that view may change should one or both cars disappear from the drive one night without our consent...

Superbenj Dec 23rd, 2018 21:47

No chance I'd give up keyless entry, I even have a Keyless house now, although Im currently still having to type in pesky codes on those doors

yeoman Dec 23rd, 2018 22:12

My condolences to the OP, I hope you get sorted.

I had always thought( naively i suppose), that Volvo were immune from this sort of pre-planned theft as they are seen as "old folks" cars.

Ringthane Dec 23rd, 2018 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke69 (Post 2478657)
What's the difference from this one apart from price?

This

It is large enough to accommodate both sets of keys/fob, plus the waterproof one.

Because Mrs R and I have the keys on us during the day, I bought it to mitigate the risk of a Relay theft, while we were in bed at night, as per the unfortunate experience of the OP.

The individual pouches are ok, if you just want to cover the fob, but in our case, we have more than one keyless car, and this was the most practical option for us.

When I received the pouch, I tested it and it blocked the signal to the car, but I couldn’t test it for the purpose it was bought, because I don’t have a Relay transmitter/receiver kit, so I keep the pouch in another Faraday Cage, just to be on the safe side.

id5 Dec 24th, 2018 05:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringthane (Post 2478734)
...When I received the pouch, I tested it and it blocked the signal to the car, but I couldn’t test it for the purpose it was bought, because I don’t have a Relay transmitter/receiver kit, ...

Some of the older people may remember analogue TV reception problems where when you held the tv aerial the picture worked but when you let go of the aerial the picture went away, all because the human body was acting as a powered antenna. Some pouches are poorly made and leak radio signals, even more so when being held and your body acts as an antenna, tins can also leak or even act as an antenna all because the fob is powered. Like the old analogue TV, the fob uses some of its power to help receive weak signals, improving its reception.

Pouches are most effective when laid flat and the sides of the pouch fold around the fob. Tins often do not work because there is a gap between the fob and the walls of the tin which in certain cases can make the tin act like an aerial, making the relay kits job easier. In the case of some tins the lid or the sides are really made of cardboard or plastic and covered with a thin film of metal. Although they have been metallised enough to stop the coffee going off they may not be metallised enough to stop radio frequencies or electromagnetic fields.

To test have the key in the pouch or the tin and place it on the roof of the car without touching it. If the doors do not open and the engine does not start then it will effectively block the relay kits.

steve99uk Dec 24th, 2018 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeoman (Post 2478733)
My condolences to the OP, I hope you get sorted.
I had always thought( naively I suppose), that Volvo were immune from this sort of pre-planned theft as they are seen as "old folks" cars.

Nice! When I bought mine that's what I probably had in the back of my mind.

No update as to the whereabouts of my car sadly. I get the impression from the police (I finally got through to them on 101) and my insurance company that they don't think it's coming home.

My reasons for posting initially were to make everyone aware of what had happened and also to express how disappointed/angry I am that VOC tracking was useless in this case. Great for showing that you had taken a journey to the shopping centre and how long that took but not when it was really needed.

I am unhappy that the dealership I bought from have shown zero interest - should I have expected anything different however? I emailed the MD of the group that owns Volvo London but he has not responded.
Also, VOC saying that they believe that the tracking unit has now been removed by the thieves is odd. I would have expected it be integrated into the car and not a removable item.

I know that keyless entry cars are susceptible to problems but even when the key fob is kept in a fridge, microwave or faraday cage it has to be taken out to be used. I have heard that units to detect/clone these can be hidden in gardens/hedges. Who knows??

Phaeton Dec 24th, 2018 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99uk (Post 2478797)
I am unhappy that the dealership I bought from have shown zero interest - should I have expected anything different however?

This isn't a dig or anything, but what exactly do you want them to do?