Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Engine 2.0D : V50 2.0D 2010 - Regenerating every couple of miles (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282549)

fletcherv50 Jun 3rd, 2018 01:05

V50 2.0D 2010 - Regenerating every couple of miles

Hi Guys, I have now reached a desperate point with my car, its a v50 2.0D 2010 and I have a problem where the car keeps going into regeneration mode, every couple of miles. This started a couple of weeks ago, so I changed the DPF as it was overdue, then it came up with the pressure sensor fault, so I changed that, and it ran great for a week, (about 500 miles). It has now started regenerating again every couple of miles. As you experienced owners will know, this is throwing diesel through to the sump at an unsustainable rate, and I have no clue what to do next.

I have changed the pressure sensor back to the old one (in a bid to get it to drive in limp mode and not regen for the weekend) but it appears to still do it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

There are no fault codes on vida other than the pressure sensor now

Bungo Jun 3rd, 2018 13:56

I think you need to tell the ecu what you've done

fletcherv50 Jun 3rd, 2018 14:51

I have done, reset the particle trap via Vida.

Thanks

Bungo Jun 3rd, 2018 20:33

Is that possible ?
I don't have any personal experience of vida but I read on here that they are limited in some areas as to how affective they are.
Is it a dry or wet dpf, a wet one needs the adm resetting too.

fletcherv50 Jun 4th, 2018 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungo (Post 2410492)
Is that possible ?
I don't have any personal experience of vida but I read on here that they are limited in some areas as to how affective they are.
Is it a dry or wet dpf, a wet one needs the adm resetting too.

once you install a DPF you tell the ECU (with vida + Dice) that you have replace the DPF and this records the mileage on the ECU and resets the soot meter to zero. You can aalso check the levels of your additive fluid and reset this also.

My DPF is a wet one

Bungo Jun 5th, 2018 10:18

My local Volvo indy tells me there is a limit to what he can do with vida/dice.
I have no idea to be honest.
It seems to me that this is most certainly the ecu which is making this happen either because it is not set right or it is getting the wrong info signal from somewhere.
My first suggestion would be the pressure sensor but as you have tried this I would suggest something connected to the sensor, possibly pipe work.

iainmd Jun 6th, 2018 12:55

If it were me I'd try the following:

1. Check that the DPF pressure pipes between the pressure sensor and the DPF are intact.
2. Use VIDA to check the ADM level if it has an Additive Dosing Module (EOLYS tank).
3. Run a manual DPF regen in VIDA to see if it completes
If it completes, see if the behaviour changes
If it fails, possibly the DPF is blocked beyond help and requires replacing
4. If all of the above fails and your local indy can't help, maybe time to resort to a Volvo dealer.

allanw Jun 11th, 2018 12:53

When I had the same problem it turned out to be one of steel pipes cracked at the weld on the DPF that go to sensor. It took a while to find it.

fletcherv50 Jun 11th, 2018 21:13

Thanks for all the advice guys, but I have owned this car for over three years, and all the time I have owned it, Ive had nothing but trouble with the DPF, the pressure sensor and the car going into limp mode.

This was the second DPF I had fitted, and the third pressure sensor. All without getting rid of the faults. So reluctantly I went down the road of deleting and remaping as I just can afford to keep throwing money at this fault.

OMG why did I not do this three years ago, no smoke, drives like a dream, more power, more MPG its like driving a different car.

Thanks for trying to help guys, but I have had to resort to the dark side for this one.

allanw Jun 12th, 2018 13:50

What will happen at the next MOT though?