Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Suspension: 70: C70 Cross Brace & Front Upper Suspension Mount nuts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286643)

ASt85 Sep 20th, 2018 16:06

C70 Cross Brace & Front Upper Suspension Mount nuts

I was about to fit an upper front cross brace to my 2005 C70 so consulted the Haynes 850/V70 - & etc manual re the relevant torque settings rather than fire up VIDA.

However, the Haynes manual states that new nuts must be used.

Does anyone know if that is actually the case?

Looking at the existing nuts without removing them they don't appear to have been crushed or crimped, definitely aren't the nylock type and it is not immediately obvious if threadlocker was used on the bolt threads originally without removing the nuts themselves.

I am loathe to remove the nuts if I should use new nuts without having the replacement nuts to hand.

I'm aware of using new bolts when replacing torque bolts, eg axle bolts etc, but can't see why new nuts would be needed if the originals are simply thread locked.

Opinions/experience as to the necessity re safety etc. of replacing those nuts or re-using the originals to install the upper cross brace would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

Turbodave Sep 20th, 2018 16:33

Never replaced them / used thread lock / nylocs and have used generic replacement nuts and washers and never had any issues. Just torque them up with the car weighted and work them down gradually, ie don't romp one up with the other two slack.

ASt85 Sep 20th, 2018 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbodave (Post 2449558)
Never replaced them / used thread lock / nylocs and have used generic replacement nuts and washers and never had any issues. Just torque them up with the car weighted and work them down gradually, ie don't romp one up with the other two slack.

My thoughts exactly - thanks for the insight Turbodave

DSK Sep 20th, 2018 21:18

I have had braces supplied with and without nuts from Volvo.

Where supplied, I used new. Where none were supplied I used the existing ones and both have been without issues.

pepper16 Sep 20th, 2018 21:31

I fitted a front strut brace to my C70 .....2 years ago.
It's a genuine Volvo one and I do remember buying some form of blue nylock seal at the time, and using existing nuts. I can't recall now what it was,but I remember that at the time i read the forums on here and used the recommended seal.
I occasionally check tightness and it's always been fine?
Dave

ASt85 Sep 22nd, 2018 10:19

Many thanks to Turbodave, DSK, and pepper16 for the insight re: fitting the cross brace.

Re-use the nuts and add some thread locker would appear to be the best way forward.
Cheers
Alan

ITSv40 Sep 22nd, 2018 19:39

I cannot quite get my head around Volvo logic on this one.

Volvo state that new nuts should be used when refitting the strut - this is the case for both the C70 and V40.

Now my C70 has Volvo nuts that are plain flange nuts without any locking device such as 'nyloc' or friction ring built in, yet the V40 does have flange nuts with a built in metal friction ring as standard.

I can understand replacing the friction ring nuts on the V40, but fail to see why the plain nuts on the C70 need replacing when the nuts have been removed. Also if plain nuts are sufficient on one model why not on all models -they perform the same job no matter what model the car is.