Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Misfuelled xc60 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294648)

assettt May 10th, 2019 13:36

Misfuelled xc60

The missus was using the car and has went to fuel and put some petrol instead of diesel. She called me in a panic when she realised what's happened and being at work i called my mechanic. My mechanic suggested to brim the car with diesel and it will be fine considering it was only half a litre of petrol. I've just got home and the car sounds fine and drives Ok but i'm just wondering about long term engine damage.
Anybody had a similar experience?:speechless-smiley-5

SignumGB May 10th, 2019 13:42

Had the same a while ago with previous VW. Had been in wife's car all week (petrol) so was on autopilot. Was about a litre of petrol before I realised (car was empty). Paid for the litre, went back and filled say to 10 litres with diesel. Then went on a very long drive hoping the diluted petrol would burn off with the diesel, which it did. Never had any issues.

XC90Mk1 May 10th, 2019 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by assettt (Post 2519661)
The missus was using the car and has went to fuel and put some petrol instead of diesel. She called me in a panic when she realised what's happened and being at work i called my mechanic. My mechanic suggested to brim the car with diesel and it will be fine considering it was only half a litre of petrol. I've just got home and the car sounds fine and drives Ok but i'm just wondering about long term engine damage.
Anybody had a similar experience?:speechless-smiley-5

Diesels are resilient to contamination and if it were mine I would not be concerned. The lubrication will be negligible by half a l and the combustion will not change.

If it were me I would have no concerns.

Dash300 May 10th, 2019 18:58

I know friends in Norway put a few litres of petrol in their diesel tank to prevent waxing when extremely cold, so as others have said I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

ThorV70 May 10th, 2019 21:28

Shouldn't be a problem, I missfueled an 07 plate Audi A4 2.0TDI (company car) brimmed it with diesel. Had the car for 4 years faultless 100,000miles when he t went o the car auctions.

redshoe1 Jun 7th, 2019 19:29

Today I tried to put petrol in my 2014 XC60 however the small flap inside the filler pipe would open, at first I had not realised what was wrong and tried move it but it would not move. I then realised my error and swapped to the diesel pump and the small flap opened fine. So I was saved a lot of hassle by technology. Wish I had this on 2012 V60, as I put £28.00 worth of petrol in before realising, did not drive the car but had a lot of inconvenience getting it drained.

Fimac Jun 9th, 2019 14:44

just like putting redex in, top tank up with diesel and no problems I am sure.
putting diesel in your petrol, another matter entirely !!

Tannaton Jun 9th, 2019 21:14

It's all been said but to be clear ANY modern diesel will run quite happily on a 10-15% petrol diesel mix with no issues or long term damage. Some will run a substantially higher ratio mix.

You might even find the engine improved afterwards due to the stronger cleaning properties of petrol....

Just ask any forecourt cashier, many drivers of commercial diesels, london taxi's, landrovers etc. frequently lob a few litres of unleaded in on top of a full tank of diesel.