Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C30 Electrics : Aux Question (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277375)

Hawki1996 Jan 22nd, 2018 18:59

Aux Question

Hi, I'm new to the website and owning a Volvo but I had a quick question. I've just bought a 2010 C30 R-Design. I think it has the 6 CD radio unit fitted and the unit only says CD on it where other models say mode. I'm trying to find a way to connect my phone in either through an aux lead, usb or bluetooth but I can't seem to find a firm answer. I'd like to avoid using an FM transmitter or something like a parrot unit, and the best option appears to be the iPod/USB kit I've seen mentioned elsewhere but I don't know if this is compatible with my unit. Any help would be much appreciated! :thumbs_up:

iainmd Jan 22nd, 2018 20:05

Something isn't right there. A 2010 (any model from 2007 onwards) should have Aux and probably USB as well unless it has factory Bluetooth. Certainly by 2010 the waterfall should have a "mode" button instead of "CD". I have the feeling that the previous owner has swapped the centre console from an older car for some reason.

Do you have an aux-in or USB port in the centre console (in the armrest cubby hole)?

Hawki1996 Jan 22nd, 2018 20:08

I don't think it has one but I'll take another look, I wouldn't think it's possible to change the console because they're linked to the VIN number aren't they?

Sysyphus Jan 22nd, 2018 22:37

The console/buttons is just a keypad, nothing registered there... however if just that had been swapped out the CD button should swap between CD & AUX.

That said, I have read that the R's from that era were not as well equipped as one might expect when it comes to bells & whistles.

The Volvo USB/iPod kit is expensive, if you can find one, not that easy to install, and does require a software upgrade installed by a dealer.

FM adapter is the only cheap and cheerful way if you have no AUX... Grom and Parrot have their fans, BluePower have an expensive new Android based head-unit replacement in the pipeline, but after the earlier WinCE based one I'm cautious to recommend that until I have seen some hands-on reviews.

Hawki1996 Jan 23rd, 2018 09:27

Yeah, I’ve seen those options, one thing I asked the Volvo dealership about was whether, because the car has Bluetooth fitted for hands free calling, there was any software which could be added to let the car use the bluetooth connection for music as well

phutyle Jan 23rd, 2018 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawki1996 (Post 2360844)
the car has Bluetooth fitted for hands free calling, there was any software which could be added to let the car use the bluetooth connection for music as well

If you have factory bluetooth for hands free calling, you won't have the Aux and USB. My 2010 V50 is the same. Something about the option for hands free automatically removing the the Aux/USB - maybe both options use the same connector on the back of the head unit or something.

As far as I know, there's no software update to add Bluetooth music - the hardware chip probably doesn't even support it. In back at that time, it was very common for bluetooth in cars (of all brands) to support calls only - people had far fewer devices back then that could stream music by bluetooth.

I've had to resign myself to using an FM transmitter. I use one that broadcasts on 87.5 FM. There's no radio stations in Ireland broadcasting on that frequency, so I've yet to suffer from any interference. My main problem is that all BT FM transmitters have hands free too, which I don't need since the car has it. Sometimes the phone ends up routing a call through the transmitter, when I want it through the car. Otherwise it works very well for me.

coupi Jan 23rd, 2018 12:05

Buy yourself one of these - https://www.incarconnections.co.uk/v...-adapters.html

And buy a longer (mine was 5m) RCA to AUX cable to route to the front (armrest, behind waterfall or wherever else you like).

Hawki1996 Jan 23rd, 2018 12:43

I've seen those but I wasn't sure if it'd be better than the FM transmitters for the car socket, isn't it just a wired in one of those? Do you have any experience using one of them?

iainmd Jan 23rd, 2018 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by phutyle (Post 2360855)
My main problem is that all BT FM transmitters have hands free too, which I don't need since the car has it. Sometimes the phone ends up routing a call through the transmitter, when I want it through the car. Otherwise it works very well for me.

If you use an Android phone you can choose per Bluetooth paired device what it can and cannot be used for. If you get an FM transmitter that pairs to your phone via bluetooth you can, for the FM transmitter's connection, disable call/phone audio and enable audio/media. That would solve it.

phutyle Jan 23rd, 2018 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainmd (Post 2360943)
If you use an Android phone you can choose per Bluetooth paired device what it can and cannot be used for. If you get an FM transmitter that pairs to your phone via bluetooth you can, for the FM transmitter's connection, disable call/phone audio and enable audio/media. That would solve it.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm on an iPhone, which doesn't have such a feature. Sounds like Android have the solution alright, mabe Apple will catch up at some point. It's not that big a problem, I suppose I'd just like the setup to be cleaner and not doing anything that's not needed.

Last week I bought a BT FM transmitter that claimed not to do hands free, but it turned out the manufacturer recently updated it to include a mic, so I ended up with the new version I didn't want. Turns out it's FM transmission wasn't a good as the one I already have anyway. I can return it, so it's no biggie.