Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   xc60 advice (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292871)

xc60fhx Mar 15th, 2019 18:12

xc60 advice

I have an XC60 2011

Took it to my local garage as the engine management light came on and lost power. it was a split turbo pipe.

after they fitted it i have now lost all the info like mpg, av mpg av speed
which was on the left stem also the oil warning comes on
telling me to add .5 litre even tho i have done this twice.

should i take it to a volvo dealer or is there someone in london that knows what they are doing to sort it out.

thanks for any advice

HDAV Mar 15th, 2019 18:39

Have you lost all historical data? Or all data since pipe was replaced? If car is using oil then I would be concerned, if the oil level sensor is misreading that’s also not good (overfilling can be as bad as under filling) certainly seems taking it to a general garage without the Volvo specific software could be a case ecconomy

Dash300 Mar 15th, 2019 19:44

This is yet another confirmation of Volvo's idiocy in not retaining the simple provision of a dipstick! It's not funny, it's not clever, it's bl**dy stupid.:speechless-smiley-4

Zebster Mar 16th, 2019 01:06

Why do you need a dipstick? Presumably you trust the fuel gauge...

Dash300 Mar 16th, 2019 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2504642)
Why do you need a dipstick? Presumably you trust the fuel gauge...

Well actually I don't. Once having to be recovered by Volvo when my XC60 ran dry when the fuel indication was showing 50 miles of fuel still available. So it's a general guide. Fortunately running out of fuel is merely an inconvenience; not so running out of oil! I like the visual check of brake and clutch fluids too.The police daily inspection of their vehicle before taking it out includes a visual oil check hence why they retro fitted dipsticks to the D5.

A dipstick is not subject to the vagaries of electronics and I have never had one fail yet!

ShamusUK Mar 16th, 2019 11:53

I believe you can get a traditional Dipstick fitted by Volvo for around £70 (i think it was a Police option). Will check with my dealer when my car is in for a service next week.

It might be wise to have two ways of keeping an eye on the oil level.

volvo for ever Mar 16th, 2019 12:30

you still have extremely short dip stck which can be used ...

has oil calculated level ever been set after oil been renewed ???

Dash300 Mar 16th, 2019 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShamusUK (Post 2504740)
I believe you can get a traditional Dipstick fitted by Volvo for around £70 (i think it was a Police option). Will check with my dealer when my car is in for a service next week.

It might be wise to have two ways of keeping an eye on the oil level.

Last time I enquired this 'police option dipstick' was not available to the VEA engines.
I would be interested if this has changed.

xc60fhx Mar 19th, 2019 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDAV (Post 2504551)
Have you lost all historical data? Or all data since pipe was replaced? If car is using oil then I would be concerned, if the oil level sensor is misreading that’s also not good (overfilling can be as bad as under filling) certainly seems taking it to a general garage without the Volvo specific software could be a case ecconomy

I had the oil changed so i know the level is correct, It did show overfull
so took a couple of litres out then it said low fill half litre which i did twice
but it always now comes warning low fill half litre. There are no leaks.

I found what looks like the dipstick way down low but cannot remove it
is ther a technique to it or should it just pull out
mine would not budge.

I have lost all the info on the left stalk such as mpg, av speed
etc

Is it likely taking it to volvo will bring it all back.