Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   General: 70: leaking windscreen wash reservoir (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321305)

jack taylor Nov 8th, 2021 16:06

leaking windscreen wash reservoir

Hi, Have any of you guys fixed cracks in the plastic reservoir with the use of a sealant that mixes in water. I cant be asked to replace the reservoir and wondered if there is sealant on the market. thanks jack

JohnM 855 T5R Nov 8th, 2021 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack taylor (Post 2783547)
Hi, Have any of you guys fixed cracks in the plastic reservoir with the use of a sealant that mixes in water. I cant be asked to replace the reservoir and wondered if there is sealant on the market. thanks jack

Not a good plan as, if you can seal cracks with it, think of what it will do to your washer jets!

Regards
John

jack taylor Nov 8th, 2021 17:39

Hi John, Now thats what I call a bloody good point. Many thanks. jack

jack taylor Nov 9th, 2021 16:51

Thanks to John`s advice I propose to remove the windscreen wash reservoir and glue the crack. I have looked on ebay and amazon for an appropriate glue but given the vast number I am confused as to which will do the best job.
Have any of you guys glued anything plastic on your volvos and if so which glue did you use. thanks jack

V70Zig Nov 9th, 2021 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack taylor (Post 2783822)
Thanks to John`s advice I propose to remove the windscreen wash reservoir and glue the crack. I have looked on ebay and amazon for an appropriate glue but given the vast number I am confused as to which will do the best job.
Have any of you guys glued anything plastic on your volvos and if so which glue did you use. thanks jack

Not tried anything on the car, but I used some Gorilla Glue Clear on plastic and it worked a treat, well impressed with it. (Don't get the brown one as it expands.)

You would still need to remove the reservoir to do it though so might as well replace ?

Good luck :thumbs_up:

DaveNP Nov 9th, 2021 17:41

You would need to know what type of plastic it is in order to be sure of the right glue. My initial thought was to maybe try one of those waterproof type tapes that get advertised on the interweb.

volvo again Nov 9th, 2021 18:16

Would it not be easier to obtain a good used one, there are a few on ebay...

ITSv40 Nov 9th, 2021 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo again (Post 2783849)
Would it not be easier to obtain a good used one, there are a few on ebay...

Exactly this^^^^^^^

If there is a need to remove the old one to repair - with no guarantee of success, just replace with a known good one - job jobbed.

jack taylor Nov 9th, 2021 19:29

Hi Guys, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question.
The consensus of opinion is to replace so thats the route I am going. Thanks again. jack

CNGBiFuel Nov 9th, 2021 19:35

Sometimes I do wonder....