Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Plasticky chirping noise (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319841)

robsterpaterson Sep 9th, 2021 12:03

Plasticky chirping noise

Hi folks, my 2011 D5 is making a plasticky chirping noise that seems to be coming from the front right. It's done this for ages so I was waiting to see if my recent timing/aux/belts/tensioners/idlers/alternator pulley change would stop it. It didn't and I still hear it.
I hear it with the air-con on or off so I've ruled that pulley out and the only 'old' pulleys left are the crank and the power steering, neither of which are 'fancy' in any way.
I'm a bit perplexed as to what it is. I haven't been able to determine if it only happens on full/partial/no load situations.
Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Just Phil Sep 10th, 2021 16:16

Plastic ticket holder on the RHS of windscreen ?

robsterpaterson Sep 11th, 2021 21:06

Nah, engine bay-related. I don't have the ticket holder anyway.

robsterpaterson Oct 2nd, 2021 11:46

Thread bump! I an effort to find and fix this noise I've replaced the power steering pump. There was some evidence of it weeping at the pulley and they're fairly cheap. I flushed the fluid at the same time. Alas no difference!
This leaves me with either replacing the alternator (pulley has been changed) or the aircon compressor. As I can't tell what's making the noise, I'll be doing the alternator first as it's cheaper/less hassle than the compressor!

wynnj Oct 3rd, 2021 13:59

Check also that the crank (vibration damper) pulley is running true. I had similar noises on an earler 2002 D5 which I finally diagnosed when the outer pully ring delaminated from the inner rubber and the auxilliary belt jumped off, fortunately in my case without disasterous consequenses vis a vis the cam belt.

robsterpaterson Oct 4th, 2021 19:37

Thanks. It's running straight and true. The noise is 100% caused by something turned by the aux belt as with that belt removed, there's no noise. The new alternator arrives tomorrow so worst case scenario it'll shorten the list of suspects...

ian ferguson Oct 5th, 2021 10:24

you could try a stethoscope, the kind mechanics use with a metal rod at the end.
or a long screwdriver, then touch it to the body of the alternator or other ancillaries and press the handle to your ear, that will amplify the noise and in most cases find the problem.

robsterpaterson Oct 8th, 2021 09:37

Aye, I need to get one of these. I've tried a pipe but it was inconclusive. I've now changed the alternator which hasn't fixed it either. Only two things left...crank pulley as previously mentioned or the aircon compressor.
I'm about to call Volvo to see how much a pulley costs, should be fun...

john langrick Oct 8th, 2021 10:10

Personally I think is the pulley bearing, but if it is the ac pump, I can recommend nissens. I have one fitted and it has been fine.

robsterpaterson Oct 8th, 2021 11:03

I've seen a couple of posts about the aircon bearing John, so it's on the list of suspects. Aircon on/off clutch engaged/disengaged doesn't seem to make any difference - would you still suspect it? Also the aircon is nice and cold if that makes any difference.

Oh and the crank pulley price??? Hahahaha. The lovely lady told me it was £350+VAT and thst it had to come from Sweden...so I politely told her that it could stay in Sweden!