Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   S80: General Can I adjust the headlight beam if I have xenons? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=251598)

Vol S80 Lux Jun 13th, 2016 18:15

Can I adjust the headlight beam if I have xenons?

Hello

I have a 2006 volvo s80 2.4D5, facelift model.

It seems that the driver side headlight beam is higher than the passenger side headlight beam. The instruction manual says that because my car has active xenons I dnt get a thumbwheel inside the car to raise or lower the beam (dnt think that would've helped anyway because that would've raised or lowered both beams simultaneously) so my question is how can I level both the beams to be at the same height?

Thanks in advance.

luggsey Jun 13th, 2016 18:27

I'll be interested to find out as well, my car should have xenons but has been downgraded to halogens!
Mine has a high drivers side as well.
When started my headlights come on and dip down really low, when set to headlight on they rise up together but the drivers one goes higher!
May be a vida/dice adjustment?

Simon Jones Jun 14th, 2016 12:44

There is a manual adjustment on the rear of the headlight to set it to match the other side (assuming yours is actually a P2 model). In VIDA, there is a calibration process to set the overall height adjustment on the pair of lights but no further adjustment: you've got to get the alignment correct mechanically first.

Vol S80 Lux Jun 14th, 2016 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Jones (Post 2124387)
There is a manual adjustment on the rear of the headlight to set it to match the other side (assuming yours is actually a P2 model). In VIDA, there is a calibration process to set the overall height adjustment on the pair of lights but no further adjustment: you've got to get the alignment correct mechanically first.

Could correcting the wheel alignment sort out the headlights automatically?
I think it could help since the headlights bend the beam with the steering.

Simon Jones Jun 15th, 2016 12:28

No experience of ABL I'm afraid, but if one headlamp bends correctly I would assume steering angle sensor was ok.

SwissXC90 Jun 16th, 2016 05:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Jones (Post 2124871)
No experience of ABL I'm afraid, but if one headlamp bends correctly I would assume steering angle sensor was ok.

I have an XC90 with ABL and Xenons

Whilst the vehicle adjusts beam height automatically, and can bend the beams left and right, a classial vertical and horizontal aiming adjustment still exists on each headlamp.

Before you change the headlamp alignment, confirm that the ABLs and the auto height adjustment are working correctly. If not there is likely a faulty motor inside the headlamp assembly, and the easiest fix is to replace the headlamp assembly with a new or used unit

Vol S80 Lux Jun 17th, 2016 16:30

My headlight height adjusters work fine and they bend round corners ok as well.

Assuming my wheel alignment is ok, how can i manually adjust the beam height?
I wont be touching the passenger side headlight because thats ok. Its just the drivers side which is too high.

Simon Jones Jun 18th, 2016 10:38

As mentioned above, there should be mechanical adjusters on the rear of headlight unit.

Vol S80 Lux Jun 22nd, 2016 17:48

Iv taken the headlight out but i couldnt find anything on the back of the headlight that could adjust the height of the beam.

Google images bought up an image of two round black adjuster knobs. Iv tried turning one of them (the one labelled as the height adjuster) clockwise a few turns but still not any better.

Another thing Im concerned about is the colour of the driver side headlight is somewhat like a halagen bulb rather than a proper xenon. When you stand v close to the car it looks like the blue xenon light it should be but when you stand further back it turns into more of a halogen bulb sort of colour.

If that makes sense.

Any suggestions please.

Vol S80 Lux Jun 24th, 2016 16:18

Right Iv spoken to my mechanic friend and he thinks I need a new bulb because of the colour thats started fading.

Arent these bulbs supposed to last the lifetime of the car?