Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   V90 Reversing Lights (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278993)

cassell Mar 3rd, 2018 11:42

V90 Reversing Lights

Hi,

I'm sure there was a previous thread on this but does anyone else feel that the reversing lights on V90 are c**p!

I have to reverse into a dark, fairly narrow driveway at home and with the recent build up of salt residue on the camera it's next to useless along with the reversing lights! I notice that the other SPA vehicles, XC90, XC60and even looking at photos of the new V60, all have their (larger) reversing lights as part of the rear lamp assembly whereas V90 has tiny ones in the inboard 'tailgate' lamp assemblies which carry the rear fog lamps and LED marker lights. I think that they are also 'bulb' type lights and not LED's which also seems a poor design decision.

I know that by feathering the brake lights or switching on the rear fogs gives a bit more 'red' light to assist, but to be honest we shouldn't have to. I've had many Volvos over the years and night-time reversing has never been as tricky as it is in my V90. I shall be bl**dy annoyed if a subsequent facelift for the model addresses this issue, as I bet they won't offer a goodwill FOC upgrade to us original loyal customers!

Any comments or tips anyone?

Paul

Clan Mar 3rd, 2018 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassell (Post 2376154)
Hi,

I'm sure there was a previous thread on this but does anyone else feel that the reversing lights on V90 are c**p!

I have to reverse into a dark, fairly narrow driveway at home and with the recent build up of salt residue on the camera it's next to useless along with the reversing lights! I notice that the other SPA vehicles, XC90, XC60and even looking at photos of the new V60, all have their (larger) reversing lights as part of the rear lamp assembly whereas V90 has tiny ones in the inboard 'tailgate' lamp assemblies which carry the rear fog lamps and LED marker lights. I think that they are also 'bulb' type lights and not LED's which also seems a poor design decision.

I know that by feathering the brake lights or switching on the rear fogs gives a bit more 'red' light to assist, but to be honest we shouldn't have to. I've had many Volvos over the years and night-time reversing has never been as tricky as it is in my V90. I shall be bl**dy annoyed if a subsequent facelift for the model addresses this issue, as I bet they won't offer a goodwill FOC upgrade to us original loyal customers!

Any comments or tips anyone?

Paul

this type of reverse light is rapidly being adapted by other manufacturers now , citroen , VW for example , They look like LED to me , no harm in wiping your finger over the rear camera lens when you have to reverse , the light given out by the reversing lights may well be picked up well by the reversing camera to give a good image in the dark .

Bernard F Mar 3rd, 2018 11:57

You are not alone, the XC60 MY18 is just as bad.

Lexman8 Mar 3rd, 2018 12:28

My XC90's reversing lights are totally cr*p. They are the worst reversing lights I've had on any car in years. Definitely a case of form over function. You only have to look at how small the white lens is to see the problem.

Every lamp on the XC90 is LED except the reversing ones which are a non-standard (and very expensive) filament bulb from Philips called Hipervision. IIRC they are about £12 each and Volvo say can only be replaced by a dealer.

volvocamper Mar 3rd, 2018 12:51

Every lamp on the XC90 is LED except the reversing ones which are a non-standard (and very expensive) filament bulb from Philips called Hipervision. IIRC they are about £12 each and Volvo say can only be replaced by a dealer.[/QUOTE]

Is there any way to upgrade the XC90 reversing light filament bulbs with an led option to give greater brightness?

S90 Mar 3rd, 2018 13:25

The bulbs are PY24W, not that expensive, unless you get them from a dealer, I'm going to yank them all out in the warmer weather and fit LED versions.

cassell Mar 3rd, 2018 13:43

Thanks for the feedback Gents, I'm glad it's not just me!

I did wonder about an LED bulb upgrade but no doubt that will trigger some sort of message that will require a dealer VIDA visit to rectify! let us all know if anyone succeeds with an LED replacement.

I remember in 1971 having a Mini Cooper lookalike with a Lucas rally-type reversing light on the boot lid, I'm a bit older and wiser nowadays but somehow that idea may make a come-back haha!

Cheers.

S90 Mar 3rd, 2018 13:45

Nah, you wont get error messages if you buy the right bulbs. I'll post info when I get round to sorting it with manufacturer etc.

bobby2000 Mar 3rd, 2018 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassell (Post 2376194)
Thanks for the feedback Gents, I'm glad it's not just me!

I did wonder about an LED bulb upgrade but no doubt that will trigger some sort of message that will require a dealer VIDA visit to rectify! let us all know if anyone succeeds with an LED replacement.

I remember in 1971 having a Mini Cooper lookalike with a Lucas rally-type reversing light on the boot lid, I'm a bit older and wiser nowadays but somehow that idea may make a come-back haha!

Cheers.

I'm sure my XC60 has led, but they are as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

dghdgh Mar 3rd, 2018 21:08

Now I always thought reversing lights were to make other motorists aware of your actions not to light your way.:car: