Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Sat nav blunder (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271529)

NigelDay Aug 12th, 2017 22:23

Sat nav blunder

This is amazing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...at-nav-blunder

Rossi-fan Aug 13th, 2017 00:03

Thick headed truck driver, can't say anything else really

Simon Jones Aug 13th, 2017 11:40

There really is no excuse for a so called 'professional' driver to end up in such a mess.

NigelDay Aug 13th, 2017 12:10

He might no longer be a 'professional' driver !

DaveNP Aug 13th, 2017 16:58

By law he must have a Driver CPC - Certificate of Professional Competence, but sitting in a classroom for five seven hour sessions obviously didn't equip him for this. I frequently despair of the industry I work in as this sort of thing is getting more common, but then if all the media reporting is in the nature of 'truck drivers are idiots/polluters/homicidal maniacs etc', why would any halfway competent human being want to be a truck driver?
But we can all look forward to driver-less vehicles without stupid drivers, and you know the old saying 'To err is human, to mess it up completely you'll need a computer'.

Bill_56 Aug 13th, 2017 23:08

It's not all the fault of Sat Navs.

Circa late 1980s, I used to spend my evenings in a pub by a mini roundabout. One of exits led through a housing estate to shortcut to the motorway, but you had to navigate through a physical width restriction, big bollardy things about 6 foot apart, 100 yds up the road. Within that 100yds parking spaces alternated, one side of the road then another, also as a deterrent to big vehicles.

The width restriction was clearly sign posted but even so, about once a week, the locals would notice a large articulated lorry heading up the road. We'd speculate how long it would take, usually a good half hour or more, before the driver got to the bollards and managed to reverse all the way back again, snaking between all the parked cars.

To their credit, they generally had unbelievably good reversing skills, long predating cameras and other driver assists.

Spike56 Aug 14th, 2017 10:11

That last sentence is also the answer!

Drivers are rapidly handing responsibility for their actions to technology, cameras, sat-nav's, parking sensors and "emergency braking" being the latest. Gradually drivers (me among them) are becoming used to having less to be aware of, and it's getting scary. The cars have lane sensing devices so you can nod off while the cruise control and forward braking assist will take control of everything.........The cars even park themselves for you!

It was so much simpler in the old days ironically!

Bill_56 Aug 14th, 2017 11:27

Totally agree.

I've been driving nearly nothing but my two S60s for ten years now. I'm glad the S60s had parking sensors as it's an awkard car for reversing, owing to poor visibility and poor turning circle.

Trouble is, once in a while I have to drive other half's Polo. It should be an easy car to reverse, great visibility and turns on a sixpence. But I'm now useless at parking the Polo, the S60 has made me pretty much dependent on the beepers. Which is a shame as, up until the S60, I was rather proud of my parking skills

DaveNP Aug 14th, 2017 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike56 (Post 2308258)
That last sentence is also the answer!

Drivers are rapidly handing responsibility for their actions to technology, cameras, sat-nav's, parking sensors and "emergency braking" being the latest. Gradually drivers (me among them) are becoming used to having less to be aware of, and it's getting scary. The cars have lane sensing devices so you can nod off while the cruise control and forward braking assist will take control of everything.........The cars even park themselves for you!

It was so much simpler in the old days ironically!

The skill is in learning to use the technology not be controlled by it or getting dumbed down. I find cruise control to be a very useful tool which aids my driving, I can set it to the right speed and then instead of keeping looking at the speedo I can look out of the windows at the other traffic, on the latest trucks the cruise control can allow a variation in the speed and to get the best one needs to go into the dashboard menus to set those parameters rather than just rely mindlessly on the default settings. Similarly with satnavs, before mindlessly driving down a narrow lane, get the right satnav which allows for vehicle (truck or caravan) size, select a routing option which uses better roads rather than the shortest 'as the crow flies' route, zoom out and look at the bigger picture, and if in any doubt stop and check.

I'm not so sure about the good old days, you had to find your way to the town, then try to find a map or a half intelligent local, and even then it took some skill to interpret the map (or the local).

Simon Jones Aug 17th, 2017 13:29

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this the other day. Not a sat nav blunder as he clearly found the store but then managed to wedge his truck between barrier and house. If you look just to the left of the lamp post, you can see where he hit the guttering & soffit which dislodged the roof tiles. "Top Brands. Bottom Prices. S**t Parking"