Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Advice on rebuild (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306728)

Dave 61 Jun 7th, 2020 17:28

Advice on rebuild

22 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
My first post, though I have lurked around for quite a while.
We`ve had our Amazon for just over 11 years but life & a bit of ill health have meant that I haven`t had the chance to really get stuck into restoring it, but did build the workshop it lives in.
Now that I`ve got it pretty much completely stripped I wanted to ask for opinions, good or bad.
As you`ll see if I`ve loaded the photos ok it has suffered from having had the dreaded leaky windscreen & has had both footwells patched badly previously.
I`m attempting to remove the inner skin from the bulkhead to get a better idea of the rust damage & aid the shotblasting if it seems that restoring is viable.
I`ve treated myself to a new toy, a Portamig welder, so I`m keen to to have a go but if the general opinion is that it`s too far gone I`d have to have a rethink.
Must admit I`ve spent countless hours online looking at other rebuilds & have been amazed at what has been saved, in particular there was a chap on here called Ivan that seemed to be performing miracles but his photos seem to have disappeared.
I`m a knackered 59 year old with pretty good mechanical skill though mainly on motorbikes & am slowly learning the art of welding.
Sorry for the post being a bit like War & Peace.
Cheers
Dave

Burdekin Jun 7th, 2020 17:54

You’re talking hundreds of hours of body works. I would say 1000 hours would be a good guess. How many hours a week can you devote to it? 10? 2 years of bodywork at that rate. Even a very good and quick experienced car welder there’s over 500hrs I reckon.

If your goal is to have a hobby restoring this over a few years crack on. If you’d rather be out driving, scrap it and get a better car.

mocambique-amazone Jun 7th, 2020 18:51

I'very wrecked better ones. Till now I did restore a lot of cars, this one I wouldn't start with. Have a look for a better one.
If this is "the one and only" , the first ever build, the last ever build or the DD of Roger. ....

Same opinion as Khe Sanh.

Good luck, Kay

simon roberts Jun 7th, 2020 19:27

Metalwork

If you have the skills + the timego for it,loads of repair panels are availabe.
I had a190SL in similar condition which i scrapped!.......now wish I hadn't.....

Dave 61 Jun 7th, 2020 20:19

Thanks for the responses, doesn`t look that favourable for the old Amazon.
I wasn`t being naive, I did realise it would be quite a task but Khe Sanh put quite a good perspective on it.
Cheers
Dave

Volvo_133 Jun 7th, 2020 20:25

Bodywork

I was given ( due to its poor state) my amazon in 2004. It was bad around and below the
front screen, corners of the rear screen, arches, front inner wings etc, having sat outside untouched for 12 years. Used parts were plentiful too on ebay compared with today. I was in full time employment at the time and spent 3.5 years of my spare time. This did include clutch replacement, all new brake parts replaced and re assembly after the spray shop. If you take this on it will have to be a labour of love.
It looks like it is the uncommon very pale blue and a 2 door car?
Chris.

Dave 61 Jun 7th, 2020 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo_133 (Post 2636433)
I was given ( due to its poor state) my amazon in 2004. It was bad around and below the
front screen, corners of the rear screen, arches, front inner wings etc, having sat outside untouched for 12 years. Used parts were plentiful too on ebay compared with today. I was in full time employment at the time and spent 3.5 years of my spare time. This did include clutch replacement, all new brake parts replaced and re assembly after the spray shop. If you take this on it will have to be a labour of love.
It looks like it is the uncommon very pale blue and a 2 door car?
Chris.

Hi Chris,
It is a 2 door but it`s the off White colour.
After what you & Khe Sanh have said I`d have thought I would be looking at 4 to 5 years for me to do it being realistic, I wouldn`t want it to be a chore.
Cheers
Dave

Bob Meadows Jun 7th, 2020 21:32

Whatever you decide to do-- don’t scrap it: ~ sell it on as a restoration project and put the money towards the best you can afford.

Plenty of people will take on long term projects- these cars are few & far between but far better complete rather than just adding to the parts bin. I’ve seen far worse classic cars brought back to life with application and dedication plus the fact that replacement parts/panels had been like hens teeth!

Save it as best you can even though you may have to sell- Good luck.
Bob.

classicswede Jun 7th, 2020 22:31

It is worse than most but the majority of the issues you will find on any car.

If you have the time and willing its worth doing but if not sell it on and finding something better

omc 47 Jun 8th, 2020 08:54

All Classics can be a labour of love and challenges are good for the soul, panels are usually good quality when needed and there is a certain loyalty to the Amazon along with many older Volvo marques that is a healthy distraction from this crazy world (especially now). The brilliant news in your post is "you bought a Portamig"......I love mine and my Amazon has benefitted from some remedial panel replacement and l'm really pleased with the result.....best wishes.