Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : Disabling Daylight running lights (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87621)

Bendolfc Jun 24th, 2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markos01 (Post 2531039)
My plan is to leave the sidelights on as DRLs, I just don't want dipped beam on at all times. In fairness though the sidelights on these facelift C30s are pretty crap...

You will reconsider that plan when you forget to turn them off after parking and come back to a flat battery due to lack of warning buzzer.

andy_d Jun 24th, 2019 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markos01 (Post 2531021)
This is still on my to-do list (from the Birmingham main dealer).

Which one ?
paul rigby volvo or johnsons of solihull ?

i ask as the Rude service person @ johnsons of solihull gave more than the usual BS relating to drl then out and out lied.

Markos01 Jun 24th, 2019 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bendolfc (Post 2531042)
You will reconsider that plan when you forget to turn them off after parking and come back to a flat battery due to lack of warning buzzer.

The lack of a buzzer kills me on this car as I'm constantly switching to sidelights and forgetting to turn them off for hours...

If I can program the sidelights to be DRLs then I don't touch the light switch in the daytime ever, and at night with dipped beam on I'm more likely to notice of I've left them on when exiting the car!

Markos01 Jun 24th, 2019 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_d (Post 2531046)
Which one ?
paul rigby volvo or johnsons of solihull ?

i ask as the Rude service person @ johnsons of solihull gave more than the usual BS relating to drl then out and out lied.

I'll have to dig around some of my older messages but someone on here recommended a Brum dealer who was happy to carry this work out.

Markos01 Jun 24th, 2019 12:03

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...7&postcount=15

Your post Andy :regular_smile:

LizardOfBodom Jun 24th, 2019 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markos01 (Post 2531047)
The lack of a buzzer kills me on this car as I'm constantly switching to sidelights and forgetting to turn them off for hours...

If I can program the sidelights to be DRLs then I don't touch the light switch in the daytime ever, and at night with dipped beam on I'm more likely to notice of I've left them on when exiting the car!

Dont want to spoil your joy, but that wont be possible.
you can either disable DRLs or not, you cant reprogram sidelights/parking lights to work as true DRL (would be pointless anyway, tbh, you wont see them in daylight even with aftermarket high powered LEDs. Its just not that design)

Clan Jun 24th, 2019 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom (Post 2531036)
Thats a bit far-fetched though, especially for pre-2011 car, dont you think? Would you need to inform insurance that you switch to POS1 (parking) during day aswell?
its just a disable of feature that is not a legal requirement, I would think.
(im all hands on for DRLs, I drive on lights 24/7 but I like to be able to decide whether I want to)...

Back when volvo innovated day running lights 43 years ago Insurance did take this into consideration as it was and still is a major safety function , there is a question asked in all insurance application forms asking if the car has been modified and that is a get out clause for the Insurance companies if you choose not to tell them .. . there may or may not be an extra charge But they NEED to know what you have done , If there is an accident when the driver says he didn't see you , then that will get them investigating .

Markos01 Jun 24th, 2019 13:31

Maybe I should just fit a buzzer to warn of the lights being left on...!

andy_d Jun 24th, 2019 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markos01 (Post 2531078)
Maybe I should just fit a buzzer to warn of the lights being left on...!

naw
once you have had the Fun of a flat battery a couple of times in the same week :D you get the hang of "lights to off" on getting out