Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Less than 1000 XC40 build slots left... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280662)

anotherv60 Apr 15th, 2018 18:06

Less than 1000 XC40 build slots left...

So I was talking with one of my friends about him ordering a Volvo Xc40, he has tested the car and likes it but is not sure which model variant to get...what surprised me is that he has been told that Volvo have just less than 1000 build spots left for the Xc40 this year for the UK market, which means if he’s not quick it’s going to be 2019 before his car would arrive...

Anyone else heard this or is it marketing BS? The dealer also said a similar thing about the XC60 and that is why deliveries are being delayed, essentially no spare production...

simonjedrake Apr 15th, 2018 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherv60 (Post 2393071)
So I was talking with one of my friends about him ordering a Volvo Xc40, he has tested the car and likes it but is not sure which model variant to get...what surprised me is that he has been told that Volvo have just less than 1000 build spots left for the Xc40 this year for the UK market, which means if he’s not quick it’s going to be 2019 before his car would arrive...

Anyone else heard this or is it marketing BS? The dealer also said a similar thing about the XC60 and that is why deliveries are being delayed, essentially no spare production...

This is correct, my dealer mentioned last week they are selling so fast that current orders now have a Nov delivery date.............

Quacker Apr 16th, 2018 07:49

Oh dear! That sounds like it might justify a general price rise soon, to dampen demand a bit.

It might help sales of RR Evoque of course, which is a viable alternative, which would still be good for Volvo but also good for Landrover

GuidoBrunetti Apr 16th, 2018 15:05

The Jaguar E-Pace is also a very attractive alternative, or it would be if it wasn't so heavy and as a consequence doesn't ride very well according to those who have driven it. But then the Evoque is built on the same very old Ford derived platform, and therefore equally overweight, but that doesn't stop it selling in big numbers at scary prices. When you compare the pricing of the XC40 against the E-Pace for similarly spec'ed models it's clear someone has got their pricing strategy way out.

isleaiw Apr 16th, 2018 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuidoBrunetti (Post 2393417)
The Jaguar E-Pace is also a very attractive alternative, or it would be if it wasn't so heavy and as a consequence doesn't ride very well according to those who have driven it. But then the Evoque is built on the same very old Ford derived platform, and therefore equally overweight, but that doesn't stop it selling in big numbers at scary prices. When you compare the pricing of the XC40 against the E-Pace for similarly spec'ed models it's clear someone has got their pricing strategy way out.

Went to the launch of the E Pace last year and thought it was a decent but not exceptional car, dubious electronics as per the F Pace, but seriously over priced for what it was, some of the display models were heading for £50k for a 2.0d 4 pot or 4 pot petrol.

weemark Apr 16th, 2018 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2393262)
Oh dear! That sounds like it might justify a general price rise soon, to dampen demand a bit.

It might help sales of RR Evoque of course, which is a viable alternative, which would still be good for Volvo but also good for Landrover

LR need all the help they can get now - and I would strongly advise anyone against buying an Ewok, it suffers from the many of the same issues as the ludicrously overpriced and woefully engineered DS (I can say that as I ditched mine a couple of months ago - full details of the various DS woes on their forum). Also bear in mind the Ewok is pretty cramped and much much smaller than an XC40

Philip Fisher Apr 16th, 2018 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by weemark (Post 2393451)
LR need all the help they can get now - and I would strongly advise anyone against buying an Ewok, it suffers from the many of the same issues as the ludicrously overpriced and woefully engineered DS (I can say that as I ditched mine a couple of months ago - full details of the various DS woes on their forum). Also bear in mind the Ewok is pretty cramped and much much smaller than an XC40

However the DS is arguably one of the most beautiful cars of all time. Didn't Charles de Gaulle have one as his official transport.?

Sceptre123 Apr 16th, 2018 18:49

Ahhh the beautiful DS (Yes I thought so too!). These must be words from someone who hasn't owned one!

Having been at the mercy of awful dealers and terrible attitude by LR customer service, I can assure you that they get less beautiful!!!

Philip Fisher Apr 16th, 2018 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre123 (Post 2393506)
Ahhh the beautiful DS (Yes I thought so too!). These must be words from someone who hasn't owned one!

Having been at the mercy of awful dealers and terrible attitude by LR customer service, I can assure you that they get less beautiful!!!

I have never owned one, but have always wanted to since I was a kid. Problem is that they are so very rare now that it is difficult to find a good one without it costing big bucks. Apparently the thing to do is find one in France and import it but even then there aren't so many about now....

Belmont84 Apr 16th, 2018 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2393564)
I have never owned one, but have always wanted to since I was a kid. Problem is that they are so very rare now that it is difficult to find a good one without it costing big bucks. Apparently the thing to do is find one in France and import it but even then there aren't so many about now....

I doff my hat sir or as the French say chapeau