Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Intermittent poor starting? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=176966)

GaryS40 Apr 1st, 2013 20:48

Intermittent poor starting?

Hi all

Sometimes when I start the car, it turns over at the normal speed, but seems like it isn't fuelling up properly, then after about 6-8 seconds it fires up and runs perfectly.

The next time I turn the car over, it will usually start immediately.

Any idea if there is something that needs replacing?

Gary

GrahamBrown1 Apr 1st, 2013 21:49

sounds like fuel pressure regulator seems to be common on here few posts about it i am having same issue

going to change the fuel filter and clean the regulator and see what happens as they are about 100 quid for a genuine one which is what i will be fitting if this dont help

GaryS40 Apr 1st, 2013 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 (Post 1386233)
sounds like fuel pressure regulator seems to be common on here few posts about it i am having same issue

going to change the fuel filter and clean the regulator and see what happens as they are about 100 quid for a genuine one which is what i will be fitting if this dont help

I was also looking along those lines, Graham.

I'll have a look into this, before the service is due.

Gary

sarumboy Apr 2nd, 2013 20:25

Poor starting

My '01 V40 2.0 has the same starting issues.

When I asked about it on here a couple of months ago, it was suggested that the FPR might be to blame, so I changed it for a new Volvo one and thought it was cured. But no, the intermittent delay in picking up (about 4-5 secs) is still there. In the meantime fuel filter, plugs, plug leads and coil packs have all been changed as well (all Volvo) and still it's the same.

For now, I'm putting up with it as it always fires up eventually and runs like a dream. Like you, I'd welcome advice on how to cure it. Let us know how you get on with yours.
Cheers Sarumboy.

eric237 Apr 2nd, 2013 22:26

Have you cleaned the idle control valve? Easy to do thanks to a guide off here and has solved my problems including the problems when starting. Also are you using genuine parts?

GrahamBrown1 Apr 2nd, 2013 22:42

i am changing fuel filter 2 mora genuine volvo along with cleaning fpr and idle control valve hopefully going to cure this problem, how ever mine has started all day today no problems at all even from cold

sarumboy Apr 3rd, 2013 09:30

Poor starting

Thanks for the tip Eric237, I'm going to do that. And yes, I only use genuine Volvo spares. False economy not to. Sarumboy.

GaryS40 Apr 3rd, 2013 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarumboy (Post 1387155)
Thanks for the tip Eric237, I'm going to do that. And yes, I only use genuine Volvo spares. False economy not to. Sarumboy.

Let me know how you get on, Sarumboy.

Gary

sarumboy Apr 4th, 2013 19:25

Will do Gary but it won't be until after next week. I'm away on hols till the 14th.

GaryS40 Apr 4th, 2013 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarumboy (Post 1388215)
Will do Gary but it won't be until after next week. I'm away on hols till the 14th.

Bummer!

I fly out to Hamburg with work on the 15th, possibly for 2 months, so I'll have to wait until I come back again.

Gary