Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What are the best tyres to put on an XC90? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102374)

Andy R Apr 14th, 2013 22:36

I`ve just put 4 maxxis ms2 marauder suv tyres on my xc90, 235, 60, 18. I had two on my last 4x4 ( a Santa fe) which slugged off road every day for six months of the year ( I run a small pheasant shoot and the pen is 1000 yards up a forestry track with lots of mud and snow ( its not got any stone on it) . Was a bit worried as I've had the xc90 only 3 weeks, and with the road tyres the dealer put on ( which were rubbish) I got stuck 100 yards short of the pen and had to carry 5 bags of wheat on shanks pony.....

Got reshod, straight up, no bother. IMO they're good valve tyre at £94 ex vat per corner, and I got good handling and wear on the hyundia. Hopefully the same will be true on the xc.

Andy

am1 Apr 15th, 2013 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckbusUK (Post 1395042)
Hello am1, at the moment I've still got my winters on (Nokian WR G2 SUV,) but when I swapped them over I had done 7200 miles for 1mm of wear so looking very good, I'll be puting them back on at the end of this month.

Hope it helps :natur008:

Thanks Truckbusuk. Think will go for them as they seem quite reasonable price wise. Now to find the cheapest place!!!!

JimG Apr 18th, 2013 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilbur6669 (Post 1391607)
"I would be interested to know how they perform in Snow as the UHPs did well in the limited snow we get down south. "

We'll have to wait until 2014 for the next snow event.

I will be pulling a heavy van across grass with it though, and that is the main reason why we bought the XC90 as the previous fwd people carrier was hopeless on wet grass.

According to the website it looks like it won't be as good off road. They have classed it as a 100% on-road tyre.

Carrizos Apr 20th, 2013 04:21

grabbers

I have been very happy with my general grabbers on the road and on wet grass/slippery tracks but was very disappointed to find a fair few deep cuts deeper than the tread after a short drive up and down a track that I have driven many times on BF Goodrich tyres with no problems at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W0U6...ature=youtu.be The car drove very well I was impressed how the transmission coped with much steeper hills unfortunately not videoed.

craig2770 Apr 29th, 2013 19:55

Pirelli

Just about to replace the factory fit Pirelli p.zero Rosso's done 9,000 miles these don't wear great. Fancy Goodyears what can I expect from these?

RoyMacDonald Apr 29th, 2013 21:53

An update on my Vredstien Wintrac 4 Extreme's. They have been on the XC 90 for 6 years now and have about 6 mm of tread left but due to their age I'm replacing them with a new set. About £160 a corner from Camskills. They've done approx 25,000 miles.

volvofan2 May 1st, 2013 17:24

Read many good reports of General Grabbers so put a full set on my XC90 in November 2012. 8mm new, now 7mm all round after 5500 miles - bodes well for ultimate life. Curiously not showing any differential yet between front and back wear which is unusual in my experience. Early days though!

GerryS May 10th, 2013 13:36

Thanks for the info that they've stopped making General Grabber UHPs.

I put two UHPs on the front last year, with the full intention of putting 2 on the back as well at some stage (I had a couple of mismatched types on the back) and of course didn't get round to it.

Since they're not listing the UHPs on blackcircles anymore I went to the local tyre place who fitted the UHPs on the front and they had a couple in stock at another branch, so I ordered them and got them fitted on the back today. Not sure I got a particularly brilliant price (£150 each), but ok.

All sorted - and now (at last) I have matching tyre types all round...

Gerry

niggycd May 11th, 2013 19:53

Just changed my 4 conti cc uhp's for Avon ranger htt's through Tyre shopper, 400ish all in with discount code.After 2 weeks,500 miles im quite impressed,no noticable drop in fuel consumption,very quiet and good road levels of grip wet or dry.Only time will tell for wear but I will update as and when.

Milky1190 May 28th, 2013 07:27

Coopers seem a good tyre and at a reasonable price. I've had no issues. I'm running hancooks on the front at the moment so see how they go.