Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Dpf removal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291827)

Darkrumboxer Feb 15th, 2019 00:15

Dpf removal

Going to tackle gutting the dpf next week looks tight on my 2011 d4 wondering if any1 else has done this and has any tips for me did it just come straight out or did the steering rack have to be touched aswell ? Thanks

SwissXC90 Feb 15th, 2019 06:48

Replacing a bad DPF with a good DPF is of course OK.

Removing a DPF completely to modify the emissions control systems is not OK.
Illegal and Immoral
Instant MOT fail.
Don't do it.

Yobbo Feb 15th, 2019 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkrumboxer (Post 2495766)
Going to tackle gutting the dpf next week looks tight on my 2011 d4 wondering if any1 else has done this and has any tips for me did it just come straight out or did the steering rack have to be touched aswell ? Thanks

Doubt you'll be able to drill and smash out the core, I reckon you'll have to cut the casing, remove the innards, then weld back up.

StatusRed Feb 15th, 2019 08:15

Don't do it!

Stephen2015 Feb 15th, 2019 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2495790)
Don't do it!

Why do you need to removed, bad move, Next MOT FAIL simple really. Sorry you did asked.

Zebster Feb 15th, 2019 09:24

If you do somehow gut the DPF, then you would also need to modify the ECU software to avoid warning lights and messages relating to the out-of-range sensor readings that will be caused. There are plenty of companies who will do this for you.

However the MOT test was modifed last May specifically to improve the detection of DPF removal... while it is reported that vehicles modified in this way can still pass if the exhaust still appears to be clean, this is likely to be tightened up as particulate monitoring equipment becomes more widely available.

Removal of a DPF is not illegal, however subsequently driving that vehicle on the roads is an offence.

Darkrumboxer Feb 15th, 2019 12:08

Passing an mot without it is not an issue where i am my last car had it deleted passed with no hiccups im a welder so no hassle opening it up and closing it again and the sofrware wil be sorted when the ecu is comes out for a remap. Does any1 have experience in removing/replacing the dpf straight forward unbolting or did the steering rack need dropping?

SignumGB Feb 15th, 2019 12:43

There was a woman here last month who did this. Removed DPF in place of a blanking plate. No f**ks given and got ratty when pointed out she’s polluting further and not doing the young any favours either.

kenny Feb 15th, 2019 16:21

Have a search, there are a good number of threads where volvos never run right once dpf has been removed even with a remap.