Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Oil insert filter O ring (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=327089)

TFB439 Aug 13th, 2022 11:32

Oil insert filter O ring

On my XC70 oil has leaked from the oil filter insert onto the alternator, which had to be replaced. This is less than 2 months after a main dealer service. I’m told it’s due to a failed/split O ring. My question is, should this have been identified and replaced during the service, where the oil filter insert was replaced, or is it something that can just happen and the fault of no one?

SnineT Aug 13th, 2022 11:38

Well it can happen but I think we know what really happened and it was just too much effort and bonus time consuming to fit the new rings at the time,

If you're asking can I claim the cost of the alternator from them I think you'll be met with a wall of silence and the only way then is small claims which will probably cost more than the alternator in the end and you'll still not win because rubber can fail and there's no real way to prove it wasn't replaced or fitted properly.

wilbydoughboy Aug 13th, 2022 12:15

Maybe the wrong shaped o ring was fitted. When I replaced my oil filter I needed a chamfered o ring and not a round one that came with the filter.

Clan Aug 14th, 2022 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB439 (Post 2839760)
On my XC70 oil has leaked from the oil filter insert onto the alternator, which had to be replaced. This is less than 2 months after a main dealer service. I’m told it’s due to a failed/split O ring. My question is, should this have been identified and replaced during the service, where the oil filter insert was replaced, or is it something that can just happen and the fault of no one?

The filter comes with a new ring it will have been used

pgoldi Aug 14th, 2022 17:25

The absolute bane of car service: Time Saved Bonus.
The things I've seen in the trade bare testimony to your experience.
Snine T's comment says it all.
Just saying 🤔

bananarama Aug 15th, 2022 07:41

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pgoldi (Post 2839925)
The absolute bane of car service: Time Saved Bonus.
The things I've seen in the trade bare testimony to your experience.

Ugh! It's why I prefer to do as mush as I can. Another example: pollen filter crushed, debris and crud accumulating on the condenser. They also cross threaded one of the nuts holding the glove box in place. This was a random garage in Reading, no idea if they get time bonuses.

Attachment 142568 Attachment 142569 Attachment 142570

bananarama Aug 15th, 2022 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB439 (Post 2839760)
I’m told it’s due to a failed/split O ring.

Crazy talk! They probably didn't sit the ring properly, or didn't lubricate it thus tearing when tightening. Unlucky :Not_Impressed:

XC90Mk1 Aug 15th, 2022 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnineT (Post 2839763)
Well it can happen but I think we know what really happened and it was just too much effort and bonus time consuming to fit the new rings at the time,

If you're asking can I claim the cost of the alternator from them I think you'll be met with a wall of silence and the only way then is small claims which will probably cost more than the alternator in the end and you'll still not win because rubber can fail and there's no real way to prove it wasn't replaced or fitted properly.

I have to say this…