Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Vehicle stolen (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=251986)

woodman Jun 21st, 2016 10:02

Vehicle stolen

Our Volvo 121 Amazon, LBL85E, blue saloon, currently wearing a roof-rack, has been stolen from outside our house in Sheffield, some time between 20:00 last night (20th June) and 08:00 this morning (21st). We have the keys, and it was locked, so they'll have forced entry and hotwired it. There was half a tank of fuel so the car could be anywhere by now.

Reported to police, but if you see this car, please report it and let me know ASAP. Many thanks. Andrew Wood.

john.wigley Jun 21st, 2016 12:06

That's bad luck. I hope you get it back and the culprit(s) are apprehended and punished, but, sadly, the low-life probably will not.

Regards, John.

The Thong Jun 21st, 2016 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman (Post 2127874)
Our Volvo 121 Amazon, LBL85E, blue saloon, currently wearing a roof-rack, has been stolen from outside our house in Sheffield, some time between 20:00 last night (20th June) and 08:00 this morning (21st). We have the keys, and it was locked, so they'll have forced entry and hotwired it. There was half a tank of fuel so the car could be anywhere by now.

Reported to police, but if you see this car, please report it and let me know ASAP. Many thanks. Andrew Wood.

Really sorry to hear it. Good luck and I hope they find it

TT

DannyDier Jun 21st, 2016 14:32

Must be gutting to realise your pride and joy has been stolen.

My friend purchased a classic car last year, and using an andriod phone (moto g) I set up a tracking device, its hidden away, has an active sim card and reports its location by gps every 15 minutes.

We can track its location using a map online and we have tested it on a recent trip and it showed the gps history all over the country.

Definitely worth having, as gives the police something to work with to get your car back if some scumbags steal it.

woodman Jun 21st, 2016 16:39

Yeah, I'd bought just such a device but hadn't had time to fit it! Feeling pretty crap about that just now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyDier (Post 2127996)
Must be gutting to realise your pride and joy has been stolen.

My friend purchased a classic car last year, and using an andriod phone (moto g) I set up a tracking device, its hidden away, has an active sim card and reports its location by gps every 15 minutes.

We can track its location using a map online and we have tested it on a recent trip and it showed the gps history all over the country.

Definitely worth having, as gives the police something to work with to get your car back if some scumbags steal it.

DannyDier Jun 21st, 2016 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman (Post 2128059)
Yeah, I'd bought just such a device but hadn't had time to fit it! Feeling pretty crap about that just now...

It may have been stolen by a professional, who would likely have a gps jammer but not all car thieves use the same tools/equipment, so I still think they are useful, especially if the thief doesn't think the car has a tracker.

woodman Jun 21st, 2016 17:13

I think it has been stolen to order. If it had been an opportunist/joyride theft it would have turned up by now. Also the Amazon has an armoured cable from ignition to coil, which makes it 'unusual' to hotwire, and that reduces the likelihood of it being an opportunist.

We have a contact who has several valuable classic cars and trades quite a bit. He says that it's most likely been stolen to order, and that it's quite likely someone who has another Amazon thinks ours looks in better nick and is planning to change our car's identity so that ours disappears and becomes the one they already own - or a bit of mix and match. In other words, there's someone out there, maybe not so far away from where we live, who thinks it's OK to cash in on the several thousand pounds' worth of restoration we've done, and all the love we've put into it, to improve their own classic car. This is a very depressing thought....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyDier (Post 2128072)
It may have been stolen by a professional, who would likely have a gps jammer but not all car thieves use the same tools/equipment, so I still think they are useful, especially if the thief doesn't think the car has a tracker.

StanC Jun 21st, 2016 22:08

So sorry to hear about your Amazon - I hope it turns up soon and in good condition. I will keep an eye open for it up here in the north east . . . . . .

Stan.

happy diver Jun 21st, 2016 22:21

Some people lost their daughter in a car crash
turns out 2 girls in the car identities mistaken.

warninglight Jun 22nd, 2016 09:30

I'm really hoping this turns up for you! I've shared it on Facebook and so have some classic car friends who always loved seeing it parked up nearby, and used to occasionally send me pics of it.

I'm rebuilding my Amazon at the moment so will keep an ear to the ground in case I hear of any parts coming up which sound a bit suspicious.

And if you do get it back and it's missing anything, let us know on here, I'll see if I have any spare bits.