Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Steering: 70: Noisy power steering pump (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=37759)

Jayceem May 23rd, 2007 21:56

Noisy power steering pump

Hi
My 99 S70 T5 develops a noise from the steering pump after about 5 miles or so - there was no loss of fluid but it did get frothy and 'boiled' over when the cap was taken of the reservoir -there is no apparent leak so i had a new pump fitted today thinking that was the problem but it has not made any difference.Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong?

ShadeTek May 23rd, 2007 23:20

If it's noisey it may just be air in the system. Try bleeding it by raising the front of the car, or park on some cardboard and do a few full locks, about 10 say. Or you may have a partially blocked system. What colour was the fluid?
Also, is it noisey all the time or just when you turn the wheel? Did it boil over when the engine was running?

scotsgent May 24th, 2007 09:05

Hi Tek,

My pump has also become noisy. This only became apparent a couple of weeks ago, right after I flushed and changed the fluid.

I used the Volvo specific fluid, the level is normal and I used the 'Haynes method' of bleeding (as you describe, turning the wheel lock to lock some 20 times and holding it there for 10 sec's or so). I have done this a few times, but the gentle hum remains when turning the wheel.

I guess its possible that this is a 'normal' sound, but one to which my ears have now become 'attuned' to hear every time I turn the wheel. Its only audible at low revs and slow speeds, at higher revs/speeds the general noise of the road and engine drowns it out. Engine temperature or useage is not a factor, it is there all the time.

Is it possible for air to be trapped in the pump and that the 'normal' method of bleeding doesn't shift it?

Is it possible to 'crack open' one of the unions at the pump and purge any air from it?

If so, presumably this would be at the inlet union from the rack? (since the outlet has a direct path to the reservoir and any air would just vent to this anyway?).

What would be the best procedure? (if indeed this is a wise thing to do!?)

Cheers, Terry

ShadeTek May 24th, 2007 10:08

I have had 3 different racks on my car, don't ask, and the pump groaned identically on each of them. As you say, it is normal for these cars to make this sound when turning at low speeds.

powernut May 24th, 2007 10:43

if its any help ive a mint s/pump of a 850 t5 if there the same 20.00?nice and dry no leaks wines etc?as i know mine didnt make grony noises/mind did a p/steering pump on a vauxhall and it was a one way valve in the neck of the rack which was blocked causeing fluid to build up and thof back into the pump houseing/

Jayceem May 24th, 2007 19:28

Re: noisy Pump

went back in to garage today they found that the brass pipe on the inside of the reservoir from the top hose connection had broke off new reservoir being fitted tommorrow so hope that cures it -will let you know

scotsgent May 24th, 2007 22:07

"brass pipe on the inside of the reservoir"

Now you've got my attention, Jayceem!

As far as I can see, the reservoir is entirely made of plastic, could you give a bit more info' on the brass pipe described?

Cheers, Terry

Jayceem May 25th, 2007 15:03

Brass bit in reservoir

Hi Terry
I have the model with the reservoir separate from the pump the brass bit should be connected to the Inlet for the top hose and go down into the fluid if its missing then i suppose the fluid gets 'frothed' up car is still at garage but i will post more on this saga when i get it back
JayceeM

scotsgent May 25th, 2007 15:33

Hi JayceeM,

My reservoir is the same (seperate). I had a look into it. There does seem to be an integral moulded pipe built into the internal side of the reservoir which I think takes the returning fluid back to the reservoir beneath the normal level of the fluid.

Although my fluid is new (I did a flush and change a couple of weeks ago), its as black as night inside the black reservoir and even with a torch its difficult to see what is going on in there.

I would be interested to hear what your garage says though. As I say, no brass section is visible. I can quite see how if the fluid were 'frothed', then this would take air bubbles back to the pump and might cause the noise we both have?

Cheers, Terry

DieselDoNicely May 25th, 2007 15:39

Be warned, the pulley diameters may be different and getting them off requires a special tool.

DDN