Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   S40 1997 Stereo replacement (slim) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299735)

smokeyjoe Oct 20th, 2019 19:20

S40 1997 Stereo replacement (slim)

Hello,

I have a 1997 S40 SE. I want to upgrade the stereo as the one I have only has a cassette player. The issue I have is that the factory fitted one seems to be hard-wired in. There is the usual sockets but there is also a power lead that is fixed into the back of the stereo.

All the videos on YouTube show the big square stereo systems and there are none that I can find showing the slim (same size as modern off the shelf stereos) ones. The car has an electrical arial and I suspect that is what the cable is for. If that is the case, how would I get that to work with a new stereo?

I'm hoping somebody has had this issue before and found a work around.

Many thanks

smokeyjoe Nov 4th, 2019 18:11

Bump - Please can I have a answer

I can't believe my post has been ignored. Even a "Sorry, this can't be done" would be helpful.

Can I just snip the electric ariel at the stereo and find a new connector somewhere for the new stereo.

Please don't ignore me.

M4ss4 Nov 4th, 2019 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyjoe (Post 2568771)
I can't believe my post has been ignored. Even a "Sorry, this can't be done" would be helpful.

Can I just snip the electric ariel at the stereo and find a new connector somewhere for the new stereo.

Please don't ignore me.

I don't have any direct experience with this. But I have lots of audio installation experience on many cars. I believe the aerial should be able to be powered from an aftermarket head unit. iirc some stereos have a powered aerial cable for this. If not the remote wire out (typically used with amplifiers) may be able to do it.

smokeyjoe Nov 4th, 2019 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by M4ss4 (Post 2568780)
I don't have any direct experience with this. But I have lots of audio installation experience on many cars. I believe the aerial should be able to be powered from an aftermarket head unit. iirc some stereos have a powered aerial cable for this. If not the remote wire out (typically used with amplifiers) may be able to do it.

Thanks for your reply. I've found lots of videos online but they only show the large stereos that have standard arial connectors. It seems my stereo is very uncommon. It seems that it should just pull out but I've given it some force and it will not budge which it is why I think it is hard wired.

I made the mistake of buying a new stereo before removing the old one :sad-smiley-008:

M4ss4 Nov 4th, 2019 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyjoe (Post 2568802)
Thanks for your reply. I've found lots of videos online but they only show the large stereos that have standard arial connectors. It seems my stereo is very uncommon. It seems that it should just pull out but I've given it some force and it will not budge which it is why I think it is hard wired.

I made the mistake of buying a new stereo before removing the old one :sad-smiley-008:

Any chance of some photos?

domhart10 Nov 5th, 2019 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyjoe (Post 2568771)

Please don't ignore me.

It might of helped if you posted in the correct section of the forum for your car, you have also posted in the for sale section within the wrong forum as well unless you are selling the stero you are removing?

You want to be posting in the below section of the forum for the older platform S40.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17

I have an old S40 with all the options, maybe instead of going aftermarket just source a second hand one that has all the options you need. Should be a direct replacement then?

Mine has Tape / CD, for any aux I just use a tape to aux to play music from my phone, that way I keep it looking original as well as the info system stuff being left alone