Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Returning a lease car - tyres (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283028)

osbourne one-nil Jun 16th, 2018 09:22

Returning a lease car - tyres

I'm returning my leased XC60 in the next few weeks and have read the terms and conditions about tyres - the ones on mine have a min of 3mm tread across the rear (which is pretty good as they've done nearly 65000 miles) and a min of 5mm across the front. Last time it was in for a service the dealer commented on uneven tyre wear, but I can't see evidence of this. Does anyone know how fussy lease companies are on tyres? Will "legal" do? I'd obviously prefer not to have to fork out several hundred pounds on replacing them.

They're Nokian Weatherproof btw - I can't think that that would cause an issue would it? I think their ratings for economy and noise at least match those of the Pirellis it came with.

Bonefishblues Jun 16th, 2018 11:42

Legal would be good, and yours is on both counts.

AndyJudge Jun 16th, 2018 13:05

Yep I'd say they just need to be legal so you're all good.

I guess the dealer swapped fronts to rears at the last service hence the mismatch, maybe on a previous service they didn't get swapped round & this has caused the slight unevenness in the wear rates.

Baxlin Jun 16th, 2018 18:40

Will the lease company do a "week before collection" inspection? If they do, and they want new tyres, you have the chance to change them at your choice of price, rather than being charged their rates!

I was in a similar position when the lease was up on a Mercedes, fortunately at the pre-collection inspection they were happy with the tyres, which TBH, were on the verge of needing replacement.

Lexus refused to do an earlier inspection, so it seems some do, some don’t.

Marty Dolomite Jun 16th, 2018 20:10

If they are legal I wouldn't think they can do anything about it if they are illegal then wouldn't that mean you have been risking points by driving with illegal tyres and I have to ask, if you have read the T&C's what did that state as that's what you need to abide by?

osbourne one-nil Jun 16th, 2018 21:06

They're definitely legal. I'd always swap at 3mm if not before but it's going back...the only concern about the T&C's is the uneven wear thing, but as has been pointed out, I can always sort that if needed without exhorbitant charges...hopefully.

Considered1 Jun 16th, 2018 21:47

I had very little tread left on My Audi A6 lease in 2010, legal but only just so I was thinking of changing.

When the man came to inspect/take away he said they are fine as they are legal, its only going to auction and thanks for leaving me some fuel in and off he went..

osbourne one-nil Jun 16th, 2018 21:51

That's what I'm hoping. After 75000 miles they're hardly going to put it on the forecourt I guess. I'm already spending £600 on dealing with a dent although I think my dad should pay as it was his gatepost.

NigelDay Jun 16th, 2018 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by osbourne one-nil (Post 2415076)
That's what I'm hoping. After 75000 miles they're hardly going to put it on the forecourt I guess. I'm already spending £600 on dealing with a dent although I think my dad should pay as it was his gatepost.

Out of interest, what is the new motor ?

osbourne one-nil Jun 17th, 2018 08:39

V90 (D4 Momentum Pro). I never stray far! I did toy with a Mazda CX5 but it was only ever going to be another Volvo I think.