Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : Rear springs normal or HD (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283175)

Hon65 Jun 20th, 2018 09:28

Rear springs normal or HD

Hi all

need to replace rear springs V50 D5 2007, no auto level, not sports

narrowed down to Kilen / lesjofer but two types normal or Heavy Duty??

Which one...........

driving me bonkers!! colour code is yellow x1 white x2

cannot find a code reference any where.....

would love a bit of help, any suggestions thanks...

:regular_smile:

iainmd Jun 20th, 2018 10:25

If you tow or regularly carry heavy loads consider HD, otherwise stick with standard.

If our rears ever need replacement I'll be going HD as on a family holiday with 4 of us, a full roofbox, 4 bikes on the towbar mounted rack and a full boot the car's backside is nearly dragging on the deck. For he time being I fitted Grayston spring assisters.

As I say though, if you only ever carry a light to medium load then standard springs will do you fine.

philrocks Jun 20th, 2018 10:28

When I was doing research for my C70, I found out it used the same part number as the V50 AWD, which is the HD ones, from what I remember, all other models used the normal ones.

Try searching for a part catalogue from German sites, I had one for eibach from the German site, and it contained so much more information than the English version.

LizardOfBodom Jun 20th, 2018 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hon65 (Post 2416240)
Hi all

need to replace rear springs V50 D5 2007, no auto level, not sports

narrowed down to Kilen / lesjofer but two types normal or Heavy Duty??

Which one...........

driving me bonkers!! colour code is yellow x1 white x2

cannot find a code reference any where.....

would love a bit of help, any suggestions thanks...

:regular_smile:

Did you decipher your build plate to find out what springs you currently have and match them to aftermarket equivalent? Maybe once you have this info it will narrow down the choice to only 1 matching.

Hon65 Jun 20th, 2018 13:03

wow thanks Guys

iainmd: thats exactly what I am doing, family X4 roofbox & heavy tent etc

springs were advised on mot couple of months back so just thought that I would insure myself a bit.

on a regular basis carry nothing.....so maybe stick to standards

philrocks: yes done all homework just not 101% what are standard oe on mine

lizardofbodom: is this off the VIN, is the build plate different :confused_smile:

LizardOfBodom Jun 20th, 2018 15:33

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hon65 (Post 2416334)
lizardofbodom: is this off the VIN, is the build plate different :confused_smile:

no, its the build plate at the door sill, has VIN number on it, colour code , weight etc. also contains lots of digits, of which 6th and 7th is your rear spring code (on this picture its marked as "20")

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1529505175

Hon65 Jun 20th, 2018 21:04

That's spooky as I downloaded that page today!!

will investigate further

thanks again..

Tannaton Jun 20th, 2018 23:06

I would recommend that you do not go HD unless you upgrade the shock absorbers at the same time. With new HD springs on old shocks - it might be a right old bouncy mess.

Hon65 Jun 21st, 2018 20:54

Thanks Tannaton, sound advice..

Last question :regular_smile: Suplex or Kilen/lesjofers, about £20.00 each difference (£40.00 Pair) not a lot but it all helps, is there really a difference for the layman...

thanks again..

Bigchewie Jun 21st, 2018 22:43

I think Kilen are OE suppliers(not sure if for volvo but i believe for some manufacturers), never heard of suplex, personally I would be going for Kilen.

on a side not I like the idea of those spring assisters.