Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Downpipe flange leak (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323423)

SalvadorP Feb 7th, 2022 21:28

Downpipe flange leak

My 1997 940 lpt has a leak at the flange between the turbo and downpipe.
I am yet to disassemble the flange so I'm not sure if there is a gasket there or not. Can someone help me clarify that?

I'm planing on using putty to seal it.

classicswede Feb 7th, 2022 22:04

No gasket. Seals on a taper

Rversteeg Feb 8th, 2022 08:38

850 gasket

Although normally a gasket is not used, a gasket used for eg the 850 can be fitted. OEM art. no. 8642450

nemesisthewarlock Feb 8th, 2022 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalvadorP (Post 2805949)
My 1997 940 lpt has a leak at the flange between the turbo and downpipe.
I am yet to disassemble the flange so I'm not sure if there is a gasket there or not. Can someone help me clarify that?

I'm planing on using putty to seal it.

My 1966 body has a leaky flange but that is a whole other issue... :eek:

SalvadorP Feb 8th, 2022 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rversteeg (Post 2806012)
Although normally a gasket is not used, a gasket used for eg the 850 can be fitted. OEM art. no. 8642450

Thanks for the tip.

I read someone on another thread saying that a gasket that near to the turbo wouldn't last very long, because of the extreme heat. Don't know if that is a valid point or not. But I will look into the part you mentioned.

Steve 940 Feb 8th, 2022 09:35

Hi Salvador P,

Have exactly the same issue as you, and just haven't yet built up the courage to undertake the repairs.

My 2.0 Turbo has leak both sides of the turbo unfortunately, and with all the great help from other posters on here I have sourced all the parts needed, manifold studs, gaskets etc for Turbo oil feed, various crush washers etc.

Just looking at the plumbing on the turbo gives me the proverbial nightmares of not getting it all back together exactly as it should be.😕

Some great information provided from numerous posters, and my original thread below that might be helpful

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321966

Hope that might provide some assistance, I just need to take a deep breath, get some backbone and get on with it, but I seem to find other little jobs to busy my time with, to just delay the inevitable, procrastination I think 😀
Cheers
Steve

SalvadorP Feb 8th, 2022 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve 940 (Post 2806028)
Hi Salvador P,

Have exactly the same issue as you, and just haven't yet built up the courage to undertake the repairs.

My 2.0 Turbo has leak both sides of the turbo unfortunately, and with all the great help from other posters on here I have sourced all the parts needed, manifold studs, gaskets etc for Turbo oil feed, various crush washers etc.

Just looking at the plumbing on the turbo gives me the proverbial nightmares of not getting it all back together exactly as it should be.😕

Some great information provided from numerous posters, and my original thread below that might be helpful

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321966

Hope that might provide some assistance, I just need to take a deep breath, get some backbone and get on with it, but I seem to find other little jobs to busy my time with, to just delay the inevitable, procrastination I think 😀
Cheers
Steve

Thanks. I will read the thread right now. I looked for the gasket someone mentioned above, but the best local parts shop can't get them, so I'll probably use putty. But I'm sure your thread will give me more ideas.
I know the flange is leaking, will test today if the manifold is leaking too. Hope not. The engine was redone in 2019 before I bought the car just 30k km ago, and the excell sheet I have from volvo has lots of gaskets in it, including the intake one, so I think the exhaust manifold gasket must have been changed too, so I'm hopefull it is just the flange. Will do the soap test after reading your thread.

Thanks again.

SalvadorP Feb 8th, 2022 10:21

I've read your thread. I didn't understand why you determined you need to change the studs. Is it because the ones that are in the car are not original or is any broken?
Yours is a 16 valve right? My engine's head is cast iron.

griston64 Feb 8th, 2022 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalvadorP (Post 2806039)
I've read your thread. I didn't understand why you determined you need to change the studs. Is it because the ones that are in the car are not original or is any broken?
Yours is a 16 valve right? My engine's head is cast iron.

Your engines head is alloy if it's a 97 940 turbo

SalvadorP Feb 8th, 2022 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2806045)
Your engines head is alloy if it's a 97 940 turbo

Oh... I always thought only the 16v was aluminium and the other b230s were cast iron head.