Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   General: New Performance Exhaust - on a diesel.. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108983)

Ibge Nov 11th, 2010 12:06

New Performance Exhaust - on a diesel..

Hi,

I couldn't find any threads discussing exhaust options so thought i would share my recent findings.

Kwik fit confirmed my exhaust was gone and needed replacing and kindly offered a replacment for £457 !

I have been wanting to get a stainless steel exhaust for my Jag for sometime but couldn't justify so decided to see if it was an option for the XC90...

It seems it is and i am booked next week to get a bespoke stainless steel exhaust built and fitted for £295.

I have never seen or can find a D5 XC90 with performance exhaust so will be interested to see what its going to sound like and look like. Just have to pick what type of pipes will look best!

Cheers
Ian

autokool Nov 11th, 2010 12:28

Hi Ian

Im also in the market for a system for my D5 S40.

Let us know how you get on because at that price you have found a bit of a bargain!

www.autokool.co.uk

AB-UK Nov 11th, 2010 12:38

Ibge,
What exotic metal is the original system made of?
Could you explain why there is such a price difference please?

Ibge Nov 11th, 2010 13:01

Price difference is because Kwik fit have to quote for a genuine volvo part.

Volvo exhaust is made of normal cheap metal guaranteed for 1 year and like mine won't last.

Stainless steel one is made with high grade material and guaranteed for life.

I would like to buy plenty of extra parts for my volvo but the cost of parts so outrageous.
I would like to buy side steps (£400+), rear scuff plate (£150) , chrome strip on boot (£100) etc that are all just not worth the prices they charge.

Will post pics anyway and let you know how it goes
Ian

bobdabuilda Nov 11th, 2010 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibge (Post 775172)
Hi,

I couldn't find any threads discussing exhaust options so thought i would share my recent findings.

Kwik fit confirmed my exhaust was gone and needed replacing and kindly offered a replacment for £457 !

I have been wanting to get a stainless steel exhaust for my Jag for sometime but couldn't justify so decided to see if it was an option for the XC90...

It seems it is and i am booked next week to get a bespoke stainless steel exhaust built and fitted for £295.

I have never seen or can find a D5 XC90 with performance exhaust so will be interested to see what its going to sound like and look like. Just have to pick what type of pipes will look best!

Cheers
Ian

Wow that IS cheap. What is the name of the co?

Ibge Nov 11th, 2010 15:07

its www.mijperformance.com/

i have read only good reports of them and i couldn't find anyone come close to them on the price.

AB-UK Nov 11th, 2010 17:20

Ibje,

"Price difference is because Kwik fit have to quote for a genuine volvo part."

I thought that might be the case, but even so it seems a remarkably reasonable price for the stainless steel alternative - a "no-brainer" really.

Please update with your experience with it.

Beavis Nov 11th, 2010 21:15

wow, i'm more gobsmacked that the exhaust has gone already. my last 2 volvos were 13 years and 9 years respectively when i sold them after 3-4 years ownership, and from what i could tell, they were on the original exhaust.

don kalmar union Nov 11th, 2010 21:27

MTE stainless exhaust for XC90.

I do keep the Swedish made Ferrita stainless cat back exhaust in stock here in the UK.

You can find it and order here: http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-xc90-exhausts/

Regards, Don.

rowleyd3 Nov 12th, 2010 02:42

My Merc Cab needed a new exhaust and I had a bespoke stainless steel one fitted as Merc wanted £1078 !!!!!. I stressed that I didn't want anything noisy and picked the parts that the guy said were the quietest. Before I left I said "I'm not interested in performance or sound - I want the quietest". You guessed it, I got it back and it sounded like a bleedin' Saxo in McDonald car park !!!!!

Faced with listening to that or spending another £1K on a genuine Merc one, I took it as a sign to swap my car (to a 911 Cab for a year - then to an XC90 - hence being on this forum)

I'd still have that Merc if I'd have spent the £1K .....

Make sure you don't fall into the same trap.

Darren.