Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 D4 VEA - MPG has gotten gradually worse (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222036)

ptesweeney Jan 19th, 2015 10:49

XC60 D4 VEA - MPG has gotten gradually worse

Got my XC60 in May and for first few months I was getting 40+ MPG. Over the past 3 months MPG has gotten gradually worse and is now 34 MPG.
I've had a winter drop in MPG before but not as drastic as this.
No change to driving routes or habits. Anybody experienced similar?

Harvey1512 Jan 19th, 2015 10:57

Exactly the same. I was getting 46-48mpg by the end of summer, car run in then as well. I am currently getting 40-42mpg, exact same journeys. The drop is more severe than I expected, I though 42-44mpg, but others on here seem to think that is standard, I raised this a month or so ago. The car is a big one so maybe we were expecting too much. Roll on spring and be grateful for the drop in fuel prices..

Considered1 Jan 19th, 2015 10:58

Yep, big car , heavier to get going in a morning and bigger cabin to heat.
I have heated seats which I wouldnt replace (never had them before) but got to use more energy.

I also live at the bottom of a hill so I would spend all day trying to recoup my first couple of miles. Expect 20% less in winter.

Do check your Tyre Pressure though!

wimorrison Jan 19th, 2015 11:19

Driving style of tends to change as you get to know the car and you become less careful when the newness wears off

swishtony Jan 19th, 2015 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 1830422)
Driving style of tends to change as you get to know the car and you become less careful when the newness wears off

Blimey I hope not! I'm only getting around 33 from new. Admittedly about 50% town driving but I'm not even vaguely heavy footed. In fact I've been really aware of driving less aggressively, by that I mean speed and acceleration wise not road rage wise!

mwoods666 Jan 19th, 2015 12:33

Interesting to hear. I have a D4AWD that I got new in Dec, and currently it is averaging 26mpg. it has been back in the dealer who have confirmed that everything is running as it should be!!
This is mixed A roads and town driving, below the speed limit and no aggressive acceleration.
I am simply being told that no car will reach its tested fuel consumption. The dealer has no explanation why this one is less than 50% of the test figures.

GJB Jan 19th, 2015 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwoods666 (Post 1830462)
Interesting to hear. I have a D4AWD that I got new in Dec, and currently it is averaging 26mpg. it has been back in the dealer who have confirmed that everything is running as it should be!!
This is mixed A roads and town driving, below the speed limit and no aggressive acceleration.
I am simply being told that no car will reach its tested fuel consumption. The dealer has no explanation why this one is less than 50% of the test figures.

What sort of mileage will take about 5,000 to loosen up.

boomingfast Jan 19th, 2015 16:36

I have a D4 FWD manual, bought new in December. 1st tank averaged 38mpg, now getting 42mpg, but with very careful driving. However the engine is noticeably quicker after 2000 miles so hopefully mpg will continue to improve. Previous Audi 2.0 Tdie always indicated between 45 and 47mpg per tank, so Volvo not too far off i guess.

Daniel TD5 Jan 19th, 2015 20:56

Sorry all

I have the old d4 awd with a manual gear box 2013 model 181 bhp

Sorry to burst the vea bubble I get over 40 mpg a lot of town

Kent to tower bridge each morning and lots of motorway miles

36 thousand in just over a year

CDJ Jan 19th, 2015 22:18

My new D4 181 in FWD is easily giving me over 40mpg in the geartronic. That is a daily commute circa 20 miles busy'ish A roads. 2,600 miles on the clock so far. If I nursemaid it, over 46mpg is very easy to achieve on the journey. I now don't get excited unless I get to 49mpg, which is my day to day target now.

Not in ECO, not nurse-maiding it to obsession...just keeping up with the traffic and not ragging it.

The engine can do great things for you - so if it is as bad as some are reporting not sure what the issue is.