Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Car jerks forward in 1st when accelerating hard (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=244135)

philrocks Feb 4th, 2016 08:59

Car jerks forward in 1st when accelerating hard

Hi guys,

Every now and then, when I accelerate hard in first gear, it starts kinda jerking, doesn't do it in any other gears when accelerating, that i have noticed, and sometimes it is really smooth.

What would the cause of this be?

Cheers,
Phil

StatusRed Feb 4th, 2016 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by philrocks (Post 2053609)
Hi guys,

Every now and then, when I accelerate hard in first gear, it starts kinda jerking, doesn't do it in any other gears when accelerating, that i have noticed, and sometimes it is really smooth.

What would the cause of this be?

Cheers,
Phil

If I accelerate hard in 1st gear and ramp up the revvs I get a jerk and BANG BANG BANG shuddering sort of sound from the front of the car.. Not sure if it's similar to what's happening with your car?

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is but I think in the summer I'm going to try replacing the gearbox mount / torque mount with the e-Focus one to see if it helps.

domhart10 Feb 4th, 2016 09:12

Try replacing torque mount. are your cars auto or manual?

Im just replacing mine this week as I have some faint jerking with the focus mount.

philrocks Feb 4th, 2016 09:41

Mine is a manual, it starts jerking about 3-4k revs, but only in first, and only occasionally.

domhart10 Feb 4th, 2016 10:14

.... and thats accelerating? dont think thats the mount but cant hurt to change it. By jerking to you mean it feels like its lost power for a second kinda feeling or can you feel it on maybe the clutch.

Gear box mount would help definitely, For StatusRed ... possible clutch glaze? I had something similar and then lined up for a few drag racing starts which solved the problem.

philrocks Feb 4th, 2016 10:34

Jerking might not be the best description, its like its bouncing forward, in my head, i picture it as the cars nose is bunny hopping, so power delivery to the ground is jolting, feels quite shakey in the entire car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhart10 (Post 2053654)
.... and thats accelerating? dont think thats the mount but cant hurt to change it. By jerking to you mean it feels like its lost power for a second kinda feeling or can you feel it on maybe the clutch.

Gear box mount would help definitely, For StatusRed ... possible clutch glaze? I had something similar and then lined up for a few drag racing starts which solved the problem.

StatusRed Feb 4th, 2016 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhart10 (Post 2053654)

Yes, I drive a manual.

The thing is.. it's when I drive like that... launching from traffic lights that the problem occurs and it really really feels bad for the car... It's quite violent.

Did you say you're changing from an e-Focus mount? That's what I'm considering changing to :S

philrocks Feb 4th, 2016 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2053672)
Yes, I drive a manual.

The thing is.. it's when I drive like that... launching from traffic lights that the problem occurs and it really really feels bad for the car... It's quite violent.

Did you say you're changing from an e-Focus mount? That's what I'm considering changing to :S

Sounds similar to mine, the entire car feels like its shaking up and down, but the source coming from the front.

domhart10 Feb 4th, 2016 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2053672)
Yes, I drive a manual.

Yeh I think maybe first put in a torque mount and see how much that helps. I order a Low Vibration Focus Uprated Lower Engine Stabilizer by Pumaspeed

website
http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/

Still yet to install, hopefully will drop it in this weekend. My car goes down to Santa Pod drag strip and one of the mod garages said this was a must to stop the engine hopping around under hard acceleration.

StatusRed Feb 4th, 2016 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by philrocks (Post 2053681)
Sounds similar to mine, the entire car feels like its shaking up and down, but the source coming from the front.

Yep, do you get a sort of bang bang bang sound as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhart10 (Post 2053695)
Yeh I think maybe first put in a torque mount and see how much that helps. I order a Low Vibration Focus Uprated Lower Engine Stabilizer by Pumaspeed

website
http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/

Still yet to install, hopefully will drop it in this weekend. My car goes down to Santa Pod drag strip and one of the mod garages said this was a must to stop the engine hopping around under hard acceleration.

So do you think the e-Focus / Focus ST mount will be any good? I saw lots of people raving about it in another thread.