Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another XC90 attempt! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288296)

Bigjimknickers Nov 6th, 2018 15:16

Another XC90 attempt!

Hello!
I’m picking up my Volvo XC90 tonight, a 2005 D5 executive model in silver, just passed it mot & im trading my Kia Sorento in for it- need 7 seats for the 4 kids!
It’s obviously no minter @ 13 years old but it’s totall acceptable for a kid taxi/work truck/dog walking car.

It does however require a service & has an srs airbag warning light on, hopefully this is just needs clearing at my mates garage as I’ve read disconnecting certain electrical components can bring up that fault?

Tannaton Nov 6th, 2018 17:03

You are correct - disconnections can cause the faults but you should get the codes read and investigated to be sure...

If it's a 163 E3 model then check the AWD system - lots of articles on here.

Welcome and enjoy! You will find it a substantial improvement on the Kia...

Bigjimknickers Nov 6th, 2018 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2464362)
You are correct - disconnections can cause the faults but you should get the codes read and investigated to be sure...

If it's a 163 E3 model then check the AWD system - lots of articles on here.

Welcome and enjoy! You will find it a substantial improvement on the Kia...

This is my second time around with an xc90 so I learnt a few thongs from my brief ownership last time!
Alarm service required- battery leaks onto pcb
Check awdsystem, by turning the prop shaft or wheel spinning!
Check the CD player
Check rear diffs for noise

I picked it up now & it’ll be going to the garage for a thourough going over & fingers crossed it won’t need too much spending on it.

HDAV Nov 6th, 2018 21:32

Passed mot with airbag light? I thought under new regs that was a straight fail?

Bigjimknickers Nov 6th, 2018 21:41

It’s was an intermittent fault apparently.. certainly staying on now!!

jamie1131 Nov 7th, 2018 12:35

I think when you go from the Kia to the Volvo you'll be disappointed. My Sorento was a much better car than the XC90. I guess that depends what year your Sorento is though. Mine was a 2013 versus a 2007 XC90.

Regarding the airbag, definitely get that checked before you buy it, it could be very expensive. Also worth doing a history check. Airbag warning lights can be a tell tale sign that its had a shunt, not always but sometimes.

Bigjimknickers Nov 7th, 2018 15:35

Plugged it into his Delphi code reading laptop & it only had 35 error codes...
Cleared them all & waiting to see what rears it’s ugly head!

So far the srs airbag fault will not go do that needs further investigation.

Tannaton Nov 7th, 2018 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjimknickers (Post 2464663)
Plugged it into his Delphi code reading laptop & it only had 35 error codes...
Cleared them all & waiting to see what rears it’s ugly head!

So far the srs airbag fault will not go do that needs further investigation.

You will need to get it on a proper Volvo diagnostic (VIDA) or fully compatible professional tool. Doing otherwise is likely to be an expensive wasteful poke and hope exercise.... it should tell you exactly why the SRS light is on. It may be a bad connection, you never know...

Bigjimknickers Nov 7th, 2018 21:44

I thought the Delphi was a professional tool? He owns his own garage & seemed to think when I return on Saturday we can run through the connections & sort out any other problems!

So a Vida diagnostic would say exactly where the fault is?
The Delphi said it was a code 0109 I believe.

Tannaton Nov 8th, 2018 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjimknickers (Post 2464779)
I thought the Delphi was a professional tool? He owns his own garage & seemed to think when I return on Saturday we can run through the connections & sort out any other problems!

So a Vida diagnostic would say exactly where the fault is?
The Delphi said it was a code 0109 I believe.

The VIDA system will read any and all of the intelligent control modules on your XC90 - and there are at least 19 of them....

The Delphi system may be able to do this - I don't know - but some of these professional systems need subscriptions for specific cars etc.

The VIDA system though it not just a code reader, it is a database with diagnosis and repair procedures for each code, also has service and overhaul procedures and parts diagrams/part number databases. It really is invaluable if you are working on your own Volvo.