Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bellhousing bolts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304249)

TomSaintJames Mar 5th, 2020 07:20

Bellhousing bolts

Hello folks, anyone know the size/thread of the bolts that hold the gearbox bellhousing to the block? I cannot seem to find them online, at all!

These seem the best way to bolt the Hearses Penta engine to the engine stand, so I can dissasemble it. I understand that normal bellhousing bolts won;t be long enough to go through thte stand, but if I know the thread/size I cn go to the local bolt shop and pick up some longer versions.

Thanks in advance.

Laird Scooby Mar 5th, 2020 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomSaintJames (Post 2606865)
Hello folks, anyone know the size/thread of the bolts that hold the gearbox bellhousing to the block? I cannot seem to find them online, at all!

These seem the best way to bolt the Hearses Penta engine to the engine stand, so I can dissasemble it. I understand that normal bellhousing bolts won;t be long enough to go through thte stand, but if I know the thread/size I cn go to the local bolt shop and pick up some longer versions.

Thanks in advance.

They're probably M12 Tom but might be a finer or coarser thred than normal. Your easiest method would be to get in touch with some of the people breaking cars on the forum and ask for a selection of bellhousing bolts, that way you get the right ones in terms of size and thread pitch. Also gives you a few spaares for the swap time.

Have you tried turning the engine over yet and have you added ATF to the bores as i previously suggested?

griston64 Mar 5th, 2020 10:06

If you ask Luke ( 360 Beast ) nicely he should be able to tell you as I gave him the gearbox and all bolts from my 940 on Sunday

TomSaintJames Mar 5th, 2020 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2606902)
They're probably M12 Tom but might be a finer or coarser thred than normal. Your easiest method would be to get in touch with some of the people breaking cars on the forum and ask for a selection of bellhousing bolts, that way you get the right ones in terms of size and thread pitch. Also gives you a few spaares for the swap time.

Have you tried turning the engine over yet and have you added ATF to the bores as i previously suggested?

It does turn over, the seller demonstrated that before we loaded it. No ATF yet, not even used the hearse since Saturday. Like I said in the Morbidmobile thread, it's been a rubbish week!

TomSaintJames Mar 5th, 2020 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2606909)
If you ask Luke ( 360 Beast ) nicely he should be able to tell you as I gave him the gearbox and all bolts from my 940 on Sunday

Thanks! Will do.

griston64 Mar 5th, 2020 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomSaintJames (Post 2606919)
Thanks! Will do.

Come to think of it I will need same bolts as I'm going to be rebuilding the b230fk engine from my breaker car. Not even got a stand yet but it would be handy to know

Cheers Mark

classicswede Mar 5th, 2020 12:36

They are just standard M12

Laird Scooby Mar 5th, 2020 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2606959)
They are just standard M12

M12 x 1.25, M12 x 1.5 or M12 x 1.75? They're all standard sizes but will make a huge difference.

griston64 Mar 5th, 2020 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2606961)
M12 x 1.25, M12 x 1.5 or M12 x 1.75? They're all standard sizes but will make a huge difference.

I would imagine the longest ones would be best for an engine stand. I've been looking at a Sealey one which takes four bolts

TonyS9 Mar 5th, 2020 13:27

The 1.5 etc refers top the metric thread pitch not the length