Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Body/Trim: 850: Replacement of Windscreen and Sun roof seals (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316219)

Haynestim Apr 21st, 2021 10:31

Replacement of Windscreen and Sun roof seals

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows someone who could replace the sunroof and windscreen seals on my Volvo 850 estate (1995).

Thanks

Bob Meadows Apr 21st, 2021 12:31

Have you got Insurance screen cover?
That may be the better route if so- the major screen replacement companies should be able to do the seals.
Bob.

volvo again Apr 21st, 2021 19:10

As you know the windscreen is bonded in place, any attempt to remove it risks breaking or cracking it, so you might not find anyone willing to take the chance...unless you're willing to have a new screen fitted

DaveNP Apr 21st, 2021 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo again (Post 2730500)
As you know the windscreen is bonded in place, any attempt to remove it risks breaking or cracking it, so you might not find anyone willing to take the chance...unless you're willing to have a new screen fitted

I had that experience with a VW, the agreement was they would try to remove the screen and refit it but it ended up cracking when it was nearly out :(
If that's the way you're going and not claiming on an insurance I'd shop around for a smaller firm rather than the big names, and be clear you're paying out of your own pocket, in my experience there's a price for the insurers and a real price.

But does the screen need rebonding? or are we talking about the trim type strips around the windscreen?

markas Apr 25th, 2021 19:49

Leak in the foot well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haynestim (Post 2730362)
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows someone who could replace the sunroof and windscreen seals on my Volvo 850 estate (1995).

Thanks

Hi been struggling with water in the passenger floor well. Thought it was the door seal No. thought right it’s the drainage pipe in the A pillar. Nope. Tried sealing the wind screen nope still leaked like a sieve.

So went to Stoke Volvo and paid for a replacement myself for a pucker windscreen, just under 500 quid.

Just my thoughts

400-ascona Apr 27th, 2021 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by markas (Post 2731538)
Hi been struggling with water in the passenger floor well. Thought it was the door seal No. thought right it’s the drainage pipe in the A pillar. Nope. Tried sealing the wind screen nope still leaked like a sieve.

So went to Stoke Volvo and paid for a replacement myself for a pucker windscreen, just under 500 quid.

Just my thoughts

Did you check if the dealer actually fitted the screen? My belief would be that they would get one of the windscreen organisations in to do the work, so it would be interesting to know what they actually did.

CNGBiFuel May 2nd, 2021 08:59

Me too, I'd be surprised if a dealer did the work. Ever watch a pro do this you soon get the idea it's not for chancers. Can't imagine the everyday dealership 'wrench', no matter how able, does it enough. A pro does it day-in-day-out.

catchem Sep 25th, 2022 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by markas (Post 2731538)

Just my thoughts

Hi I've got a 240 that needs a new windscreen but companies I have asked told me that glass wouldn't be a problem but getting the seal would. What was your experience with the seal at Volvo?