Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) Engine 2.0D : EGR Valve (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40613)

Valhalla Jul 14th, 2007 21:35

EGR Valve

I have a 05 Volvo S40 2.0d SE, I have had nothing but trouble with it from day one. I have allegedly had a new EGR valve (Exhaust Emmision Control Valve) fitted due to sudden and unexpected power loss, and now the car seems to have developed the same fault again and is going to the dealers next week.

Has any one had a similar problem and should Volvo be recalling the cars to have these changed as a matter of course, or has there been a general recall that the dealers have not complied with.

Any thoughts. Would I buy another Volvo ? not a chance.

Clan Jul 14th, 2007 21:54

yes it can happen twice as the valve and software has been modified .
Its a Ford problem inherited by Volvo , stick with it you should be looked after ...

MarkE Jul 14th, 2007 22:10

Mine was reflashed with the new software, which fixed the problem.

Later on, the valve itself was replaced for the new version.

Over 12 months on, no more problems. Periodically, it's a bit jerky and rough for a bit but I suspect that's the car doing its DPF thing.

chf Jul 15th, 2007 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhalla (Post 263618)
I have a 05 Volvo S40 2.0d SE, I have had nothing but trouble with it from day one. I have allegedly had a new EGR valve (Exhaust Emmision Control Valve) fitted due to sudden and unexpected power loss, and now the car seems to have developed the same fault again and is going to the dealers next week.

Has any one had a similar problem and should Volvo be recalling the cars to have these changed as a matter of course, or has there been a general recall that the dealers have not complied with.

Any thoughts. Would I buy another Volvo ? not a chance.

Had the same problem with my Alfa GT. Exhaust Gaz Recirculation was changed and problem happened again within days. Dealer then changed the Air Flow Meter and problem was cured. You may want to suggest this replacement !

Northview Jul 16th, 2007 15:45

Yes, I've had the same problem with my 2006 2.0D SE.

I reported the problem, they blamed the EGR valve (although there were no fault codes recorded in the computer), and did a software update. The fault recurred.

I reported the problem again, they blamed the EGR valve (although there were no fault codes recorded in the computer), and 'recalibrated' it. The fault recurred.

I reported the problem again, they blamed the EGR valve (although there were no fault codes recorded in the computer), and replaced it. The fault recurred.

The saga continues...

All I can suggest is that you keep on at your dealer until they do what it takes to fix the problem and get you off their backs.

Valhalla Jul 17th, 2007 17:08

EGR valve

I took the car over to the dealers today, and asked if there was a problem with the EGR valve on the diesel engine, they said there was, and the new valves have been upgraded.

If the problem turns out to be the EGR valve they said that they would change it, but I have a loan car until Thursday at the earliest

Valhalla Jul 20th, 2007 21:03

EGR Valve

Problem turned out not to be the EGR valve, but a Pressure control valve in the fuel pump, so under the warranty the dealer has changed the fuel pump. They suggested that the EGR valve had been upgraded already, but I have decided if the vehicle breaks down again it goes, and I will go back to a different make of vehicle.

Thanks to all of you who replied and made suggestions as to the way forward.

Clan Jul 20th, 2007 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhalla (Post 266166)
but I have decided if the vehicle breaks down again it goes, and I will go back to a different make of vehicle.

just make sure its not a Ford , Citroen or Peugeot as they all use this engine with this pump and EGR valve ! To be fair once its sorted its generaly reliable afterwards in the engine department .

mjcourtney Jul 24th, 2007 15:49

My 2004 model 1.8 Petrol S40 also developed a fault with the EGR valve after 22,000 miles. Dealer replaced it under warranty and no problems since. :)

Darren_ni Jul 27th, 2007 16:18

I had the same problem on my 05 S40 2.0D and the EGR valve was replaced by the dealer last Thursday. The car drove perfect for two days and then I lost power again.

Went back to the dealer on Monday morning who took the car in for the day. They acknowledged there is a problem and a fault is showing up on the computer but don't believe it is the actual EGR value but perhaps wiring which is either degraded or been nipped/cut at some point and is sending false signals to the computer.

Their plan is to take the car in and trace back all the wiring to see if they can identify if this is the problem. Unfortunately this will not be until next Thursday and they won't provide a car in the meantim so I have been driving for a 80mile round trip each day with limited power - not much fun and has certainly capped my overtaking ability!

Is there anything else it could be as I am starting to loose confidence and am starting to see this as something that will run on and on.

The car was serviced by a non volvo dealer prior to me purchasing it so they have also alleged that it may have been something the person who serviced it has done and they won't stand by the car. I am worried that I will get landed with a sizable bill.

Not sure if anyone has any suggestion that I can ask the dealer to investigate...

PS sorry to hog this post, just didn't want to start another on an EGR valve...