Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40: S40T woes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=58692)

Dr. Nick Sep 22nd, 2008 23:33

S40T woes

having several probs..
whinning from rear? 30-50mph only. no suspension or bearing faults to be found, tyres good...
trouble starting hot or cold. heavy fuel smell when started then clears and runs perfectly...
broken headlight aliginment adjusters on near side. beam hitting floor at 10 feet...
186K miles covered...most service history... very good bodywork/interior.

Now have dillemma...

offered 1998 T4 with 120K [with history] some small accident damage cat c. [headlight gone, wing damaged, door damaged.

do you guys rekon i should persist in repairing what i got... or buy the T4 and get best out of both?

any help advice would be appreciated...

stevo48 Sep 22nd, 2008 23:53

Welcome to the forum, the whining from the rear of the s40 is very likely the tyres, they have a tendency to wear on the inside edge and then generate the whining sound you describe try swapping your front and rear tyres around see if that cures the noise.
Your starting problems could be a number of things, servicing the car and replacing filters , plugs etc will probably go a long way to help cure those problems, also check for fuel leaks at your injectors and the fuel rail and any other fuel associated components.
The headlamp will need replacing.
All in all not to big a job to get the S40 sorted.
As for the T4, i should price all the parts up first, then take into account the cost of labour and paint etc then the cost of a brand new MOT and road tax, would it be worth it?

Lou Ferrigno Sep 23rd, 2008 07:34

Headlight

If the adjusters are broken, I believe that replacement adjusters are available.
On my car, the adjusters had become brittle with age and had broken.
It left a white nylon shaft that a tiny spanner would still fit onto.
Using the spanner. adjustment was still possible.
It worked on mine - I suppose it depends on what exactly has broken on yours.

Dr. Nick Sep 23rd, 2008 10:50

will try tyre swop thanks.
have bought the T4... £450 delivered!:a1:
its very good apart from the damage which appears to be headlight, wing front door. parts not to dear and readily available.

my S40 is the 2.0 lpt.['98] also seems to take small bumps pretty hard, especially at the rear. but coming from a very squishy chrysler voyager, i'm not sure weather its hard suspension or a hidden fault.

i'm going to make a repair on the T$ and hopefully go on with that car selling the 2.0lpt.

anyone had dealings with registering MOting a CAT C car b4????????

The Mad Taff Sep 23rd, 2008 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Nick (Post 407205)
will try tyre swop thanks.
have bought the T4... £450 delivered!:a1:
its very good apart from the damage which appears to be headlight, wing front door. parts not to dear and readily available.

my S40 is the 2.0 lpt.['98] also seems to take small bumps pretty hard, especially at the rear. but coming from a very squishy chrysler voyager, i'm not sure weather its hard suspension or a hidden fault.

i'm going to make a repair on the T$ and hopefully go on with that car selling the 2.0lpt.

anyone had dealings with registering MOting a CAT C car b4????????

From memory (my last job was working within car insurance) I think you have to get an independant engineers report to confirm the car's repairs and roadworthyness, then with that you can get it registered again, but HAVE to disclose the fact that it's been written off when you sell the car on/dispose of the car.
Best bet would be to have a look through the DVLA's website or give them a ring.

stevo48 Sep 23rd, 2008 11:53

The S/V40 phase 1 cars are well known for having hard sport type suspension, they can give quite a hard ride but the handling and road holding is second to non.
As far as I am aware you repair the cat-c, register it in your name as per any car, then get it MOT'd and taxed and insured, the insurance company may query the car as it has been a write off but other than that it is quite straight forward.

MidnightT4 Sep 23rd, 2008 13:15

The whining may be the simplest of things. The fuel pump whining. My std one did it and then the car developed a problem. I uprated the Fuel pump but it still whines.

Its a comon thing on T4's the fuel pump whining

matt182 Sep 23rd, 2008 14:24

the car needs a VIC in order to obtain a V5C form and then tax and insurance etc

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022107

Dr. Nick Sep 23rd, 2008 20:11

thanks. yes your right. £38 to boot!!! ah well. only troouble i have now is the front cross member behind the bumper is quite rusty. the fog light mounting are shot. cant see any way of un bolting the cross member...
does anyone know how to replace it? or re fix fog light mountings...??

matt182 Sep 23rd, 2008 21:38

i dunno if you mean the bumper subframe? if it is you follow the chassis legs that run either side of the engine underneath from the bumper there is 2 holes either side with a 18mm? bolt. undo these and the screw eachside of the bumper in the wheel arch and seperate the bumper from the wheel arch liners and under tray and disconnect foglights. the bumper should then come off (at least thats how it is with phase 2) hope that helps