View Single Post
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:02   #5
Thassos
GoldMember

Arrow Some pics, of how gunked up it was!

Had a go at this, and thought ild post some pics, attached to give an idea of how much crud there was on the throttle assembly !,, it was about 5mm thick on the butterfly, and probably 3-4mm on the housing port, some pics showing how it looked after some time spent cleaning it, I used a scraper, toothbrush and carb cleaner (but didnt over soak the area where the spindle goes into the servo assy) took quite some time to clean it up. The assembly the throttle module bolts to had a lot of soot/crud in it also, probably 4-5mm thick which cant have been helping with airflow (there is a spindle that crosses the centre of the port (you cant see this in the pics) im guessing this is something to do with the EGR valve?) not sure why they had it come thru the centre of the tube but perhaps its to keep the heat away from the motor side?.

I made some long scrapers and got a ton of soot out of the manifold, ill post some pics of these incase its helpful to anyone else, probably got half a 'mugs worth' of chud out of here!, the bolts on the bottom of the throttle assembly can be a bit of a pig to access, (8mm head).

I managed to only remove the top section of the airbox, and left the ECU and battery connected without any problems (not sure if its OK to unplug the ECU with battery on, so i didnt!).

Im surprised they dont list this as a major service item, as with the amount of crud build up on the port i would think it must affect the airflow a bit not to mention the possibility of the butterfly jamming/the motor gear problem that others have reported.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB0.JPG (314.8 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg TB0a.JPG (307.8 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg TB1.JPG (331.6 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg TB2.JPG (308.8 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg TB3.JPG (248.1 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg TB4.JPG (231.5 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg TBGASK.JPG (77.4 KB, 238 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post: