View Single Post
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 19:42   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
I need to do this job on my D5 185 Euro 4 soon although its only at 83K, sounds like undoing the crank nut is the deal breaker, being torqued to 300nM !, when i changed the timing belt on my old S40 i used an RAC 12v electric impact wrench which worked a treat, link below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-12V-Im...843#vi-content

Im guessing you cant get the new belt on without removing the pulley, clan- where does the locking tool fit to? and do you need to replace the nut plus the four bolts? do you think this tool would be ok for re-tightening it? I think on the S40 it was a lower torque of 180nM and it didnt have any trouble getting the nut off, would have been impossible using regular 1/2" hand tools. The impact wrench spec seems to be 350nM max.
The belt on the petrol which is the same engine down below is able to flex around the pulley but the Diesel uses a wider belt which is very difficult to wangle out , i would like to see the person on here doing this, who said it could be done after 10 years of doing these myself !

The locking tool is part no 9995433 it costs about £25 from a dealer and is held to the pulley by those 4 bolts it lodges on the subframe to lock the pulley .
Yes volvo say you must change the nut ,and the 4 locking bolts are stretch bolts so must be used only once and angle torqued . This is very important on a diesel which has big stresses in the pulley area when idling .
300 nm is your full body weight and more on a medium 2ft long torque wrench .