Thread: Oil Consumption
View Single Post
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 14:09   #6
perussell

Well, I am not going to get into a major discussion here about what's right and wrong for oil consumption but having spent 10 years in an oil company and 11 years before that in a lubricant additives/research company where we tested engines to destruction in the name of lubrication development I will claim some credit for knowing a little bit about oil - I am an engineer after all and have worked very closely with the product development folks.

And as for fully synthetic oil, waste of money unless used in a highly stressed i.e. high temperature at long operating duration engine (think racing cars) - stick to the manufacturer's recommendations, change the oil as frequently as they tell you to (not forgetting the filter) and that should be sufficient. The manufacturer will always specify an oil that has a good safety margin in normal operating conditions.

If you are burning oil it will likely be cheaper to top up with the regular mineral / semi-synthetic oil than change the whole charge to synthetic.
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote