View Single Post
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 17:59   #5
Bernard333
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Dont think so with the hot water , conductivity will lead heat away and connectors dont like water.
Also if you crank the engine for 5 minutes then enough heat is generated with the repeated compression strokes that should eventualy start the engine
i agree that the glowplugs are first suspects but i dont rule out bad injectors or fuelsupply
I can assure you that this method works , I have done it many times on various diesel engines over the past 30 years on cars and tractors and on a D5 engine you will not douse any connectors if you use your common sense . The high conductivity of the alloy cam covers and head quickly conducts the heat to where its needed and even works a treat on cast iron heads . My 1965 3 cylinder Ford 4000 tractor is now on its last legs ( this Ford engine was not even fitted with glow plugs ) and needs a gallon of boiling water over the head plus a gas blow lamp flame or easystart down the air intake to get it started in cold weather , easystart alas on its own is no longer enough . I would not recommend using easystart on a D5 even though I believe AA patrolmen are partial to giving them a squirt .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote