Thread: 2.4D (2005 on) - Intank pump
View Single Post
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 12:19   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

Thats a good document thanks for posting it . The in tank pump is not permanently on its switched with a relay at least that is definitely the case with the D5 163bhp euro 3 engine but it seems the newer diesel works slightly differently , what engine do you have ? I find this very interesting as about the only major problem I have had with my V70 D5 in 155000 miles is with the in tank pump . Last weekend my in tank pump apparently failed for the third time . My in tank pump is only switched on every few seconds and at a steady 50 mph on a flat road it does not switch on for periods up to three or four minutes . Last weekend when my car broke down I discovered how well the high pressure injection pump can suck fuel unaided from a 5L container , it emptied it in a few minutes with a pipe going directly to it and returned the fuel to the main tank . The gallon container was positioned higher than the engine , just bringing it down to the same level as the in tank pump which is at a slightly lower level than the main injection pump will cause the engine to cut out .

I am thinking this means I have one or more faulty injectors and they could have been faulty for a long time as its at least two years since they were last tested .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote