Thread: Rear Spoilers
View Single Post
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 20:04   #21
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I hope I can add a little knowledge here rather than add any confusion, but from my (limited) experience of swopping spoilers-

The brackets are in two parts and are 'handed' - the left side is a mirror of the right. In Rut70V's first photo the bracket fitted around the hinge arm of the tailgate is the offside, yet pic2 showing the bracket attatched to the spoiler in place is the nearside. In the fitting instructions(from960kg) the pictures are of the nearside, the bracket shown requiring grinding down is the nearside bracket veiwed from the centre of the car.

When I took the brackets from my 850 to my V70(torslanda) I found the arms for the tailgate hinge, which the brackets fit around, were thicker on the V70 so the brackets would not fit. I ended up cutting part of the arm bracket away and using a longer bolt, fitting became one of those jobs needing three hands and long thin fingers, I think I also ended up using blobs of blu-tak to hold things in place while I got the bolts in. Does anyone know if there are different size brackets available? I was being a cheapskate so adapted what I had.

The job is definately easier with two pairs of hands, and try putting the spoiler in place temporarily with masking tape and blu-tak before trying to work out where the brackets go. If you see someone in a car park with a spoiler try asking if they mind you having a quick look at the brackets, seeing it for yourself can make it a lot easier.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: