Thread: S40 V40 Cars: - Variable Valve Timing Pulley & Solenoid
View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 19:15   #19
cbaldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufe View Post
chances are its the puley not the solenoid that causing the noise.

what generally happens is the garage doing the work disconnects the solenoid, the noise stops and they misdiagnose the fault as being the solenoid. they change that, that noise is still there, the dealer wont accept the solenoid back as its been fitted then they change they vvt pulley and all is well. From the cases i have seen its almost allwasy been the VVT pulley thas been the problem, thoguh obviously to change this take a lot more than changing the solenoid, which if this cures it then you save a bigger job, which may be why some people change this first of all.

i can provide these parts with a discount, but its up to you to tell me what you wish to order. if you wish to also have a solenoid to be sure then its up to you, and could well be the fault as they can be the cause of the noise, but from my experience nearly every time its been the pulley thats the problem. if your timing belt hasnt been done for a while nows the time to do it too really.

VVT PULLEY:
P/n 6900015
Volvo Price: £122.79 inc vat
Our Price: £104.38 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £4.20 Royal Mail Parcel force
Availability: Will be in stock and posted the same day if ordered by 1pm (weekdays)

as for the solenoid there are a couple of options depending on the engine type and year of the car

VVT SOLENOID & GASKET:
Pn: 9454789 & 30731212 (requires details to be sure of correct part)
Volvo Price: £112.39 inc vat
Our Price: £95.53 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £2.80 Royal Mail 2nd Class recorded delivery
Availability: Will be in stock and posted the same day if ordered by 1pm (weekdays)

too many options for the timing belt with zero information on the car, so will need you to pm me the reg or vin of car if you require a price of that

Total postage for the solenoid, gasket and the vvt pulley (and a belt if required) would be £6.85 Royal Mail parcel force.

Hope this helps

Simon
Hi,

thanks for the advice, sounds bang on from what ive heard elsewhere, it sounds like i will be getting the VVT pulley replaced, can you give me a price to supply/deliver these to myself, i live in glasgow area also how much should i pay garage to install the VVT pulley?

volvo s40 2001 1.6 petrol 85K

Many thanks
cbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote