Thread: S40 V40 Cars: - 1.9 diesel limp mode? help!!!!
View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2012, 00:28   #13
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

OK so this does sound like a failed turbo and although as Baffler says there are a few turbo associated items to check before assuming you will need a reconditioned one or perhaps one from the breakers, if this is the original one then after 200,000 miles you are in effect near the life expectancy of the original turbo, unless you used a real good fully synthetic oil and Volvo filters every 6,000 miles and drove only nice long trips on the motorway without a heavy right boot.

Be very careful about a blown turbo causing a diesel run away and blowing up the engine by sucking oil past a turbo seal, because turning off the key will not shut the engine down. If it does happen then just jam it into gear asap, jump on the brakes and stall the engine or it will over rev itself to death in a huge cloud of white smoke.

Interesting comment:I drove it for 98000 miles with out ever cleaning it. the inlet manifold was clogged really bad all 8 holes were almost completely clogged up.

Good to read that because I was trying to figure out when to clean my EGR valve, so reading you did 98,000 before cleaning it is interesting, so it might be a case of changing it with the cam belt every 60,000 miles. Also I think I had better order a gasket for the manifold as you said it also needed cleaning.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote