View Single Post
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 18:49   #27
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
So it's decided then! Shell V-power or BP Ultimate all the way. What about the other premium diesels, if there are any?

I only ask if I am no where near either and that is the only option left to me. I guess it would unlikely that would be the case.
Well I am no expert but as a retired Engineer I do understand that technology has moved on in leaps and bounds to make more efficient diesel engines. At the same time Governments have introduced more stringent regulations on emissions so fuel suppliers are continuing to meet the requirements of both. As has been stated often on this and other Forums the fuel that is distributed from refineries comes from the same storage tanks and it is often the tanker driver that adds the "additive" before delivering the fuel to the outlets whether it be Esso, BP, Shell, Total, Salisburys, Texcos or whoever. I have no idea what fuel would be best for these modern Volvo engines, what I do know is that many people report an improvement in MPG and say their cars seem to run quieter / better when they use a premium fuel such as Shell V-Power or BP Ultima. I haven't had my Volvo long enough to decide for myself but I have started filling up with the "Super Diesel - Excellium" which I can get in my local supermarket here in France. It cost 4c (3.2p) more per litre than the normal diesel so we will have to see after a couple of tank fills if there is any improvement in MPG etc. My neighbour (also a Brit) runs a Land Rover Freelander and he swears by Total Excellium which claims to offer much the same as other premium diesel fuels.

If you Google any of these fuels you will see what they claim but what you will not see is what they add to their fuels. What I would like to see is a chart of all the fuels, premium and basic, with what additives they have and what improvements the distributors claim we, the punters, can get by using their fuels. Perhaps this already exists in Which or somewhere, I haven't looked... yet.