View Single Post
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 09:05   #1
BMW

Default 1980 volvo 244dl * mot dec 2012 * overdrive box * solid

Hello all.

I've tried to sell my 244 on ebay but it hasn't reached the reserve. I wonder if anyone on here would be interested. It has to go as I have too many cars !

I'll repeat the info as on ebay, hopefully someone might fancy her !

Welcome

This is my Chocolate Brown 244DL ! I used it everyday until a while ago when I relegated this to a weekend/summer car.

It is MOTd until 07/12/12 and the tax runs out July 31st (I shan't be renewing it). The odometre says about 3000 miles, but this is not correct. I'd say it's probably done about 150000 miles. Barely running in for a Volvo !

This car can be left for 2 months and it will start first time. It has a manual choke, a 4 speed manual gearbox and a 2.1 engine.

I have a 4 speed overdrive Volvo gearbox which I have NOT yet fitted. I have the different propshaft to go with it. One of those project I couldn't quite get underway. I bought the box second hand of course, and that comes with the car. It will fit in the enormous boot !

The 'issues', as there always are on 32 year old cars !

The body is sound but I had to weld the NSF floor last year for the MOT. It is coated in underseal etc. There are rust patches here and there, most noticeably on the NSF door where it looks like it had a scrape before I got it. The panel is not dented but the paint has been scraped so it a big rust mark. As with most 244s, there are rust holes all along the rear panel right behind the rear bumper. I was going to do this but never got round to it. This is common on these and does not impact the MOT.

The paint is not perfect. Some of it is really shiney and some of it is really mat. It is also split in places, notably on the roof. It wants a really good buff too with a machine I reckon. The boot leaks rain water - I think it comes through the boot lid seal.

On the + side, it drives really well and is happy to tick away along motorways etc. It is lively and very quick round town because of the low-geared box.

OK, I've tried to be as honest as I can. This car is 32 YEARS OLD and needs some work. Having said that it is pretty solid. Just a bit tatty round the edges. The cloth tan interior is also in good order but a little faded. I will post some pictures of the inside when I've hoovered it ! According to the log book I am only the 4th owner. I think it was bought by a retired couple originally who looked after it and hardly used it.

The photos won't upload for some reason, but the auction is here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1809343863...#ht_546wt_1139

Thanks
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote