View Single Post
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 19:54   #8
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
It is inappropiate speed that is being targetted not general speeding, for instance recently a new inexperianced driver hit an oncoming car on a country lane, he was doing 60 (but I wasn't speeding officer) and the oncoming car was doing about 20-25mph and had pulled over to the left and stopped before being hit both cars were written off and the drivers luckily only suffered minor injuries.
The driver who in court still denied he was at fault because he wasn't speeding and claimed it was a 50/50 fault crash was found guilty of driving without due care and attention, banned for six months and ordered to take an extended driving course.
Then of course is the problem:

What is the appropriate speed?

If I am driving within the set limit, then it is appropriate. If I am below it, is this appropriate? No, as I more or less force other drivers to react differently and head into a dangerous situation. If I drive too fast (or even just accelerated) then of course again, I am at risk to everyone on the road in the near.

Then: is the limit driven appropriate to the given conditions? Is the road maybe slightly dirty/gritty? Could a horse/cow/sheep run out in front of me?

And on top: is my speed I was driving that, the Police would use? Would he drive faster or slower?

Appropriate speeds are all down to own ratings.

Everyone should think: "Am I driving like I would or like I should?"

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote