View Single Post
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:25   #6
Galaxie390

Hi Mickeyboy,

Ta for the info.

In a funny way, you've sort of hit the nail on the head. The engine seems harsh and a bit rough, now I don't have any experience of these engines so I can't honestly say mine is any different from other TDIs. But it certainly is harsher than other diesels of simillar age, maybe this roughness is inherant in the 5 cyl design.
Were they known for being smooth engines when new?

So I think I need to compare it to another V70 as soon as poss, at least I'll have a comparison then.

I'll check out those things you suggest...

Assuming your gearbox is ok - slightly clunky, as you'd expect it to be a 190K. Fresh ATF 2000 miles back.

engine mounts ok,- They 'appear' ok, how would you confirm? Crank pulley-end mount moves, but hasn't bottomed out and the rubber looks in good nick

subframe all bolted up ok, - are these the large round sandwich type mounts at each 'corner'? If so, not fantastic, some cracking on surface

I'd basically say that we want to get your engine running smoother then, and a drop in mpg also inditactes something is not as it should be. - engine felt the same before the cam belt change

Parts can clog up but still work, hence no warning light or error code. I personally would do this:

Replace fuel and air filter - replaced approx 2500 miles ago

Clean MAF sensor and area around it. (Maf sensor is on top of the air filter box inside the start or the pipe) - woudl suggest I take it off and wash through with carb cleaner?

Check turbo air pipes are not full of oil (turbo leaking oil/ turbo core worn out but you should notice strange noises from the turbo if this was the case and a loss in engine oil level) - other than being 'wet', no oil in aire pipes. Turbo sounds ok, no oil loss

Check breather pipes and little pipes to pressure sensors etc are not clogged - ok, will check.

Replace CO2 sensor - do you mean the oxygen sensor on the exhaust?

Use a fuel system/injector additive in the fuel - have tried a few tanks of such stuff, wiht no difference. Maybe I should carry on?

Would worn injectors add to this 'rough' running?

Thanks again,

Rich
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote