View Single Post
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 22:39   #14
Volvo6
Master Member

Bizarrely I quite like how we have a bit of both in the UK...I can describe something in terms of both and most people will understand.

Roads in mph, most proprietary dimensions in meters, volumes and weight still in a mix of both. I mean look at tyres...we measure the diameter in inches but the tread width in mms. Not particularly logical but it seems to work.

Aviation is a real mix...altitude and height in feet, airborne distances in nautical miles, ground dimensions in meters, altimetry pressures in millibars, engine pressures in inches of mercury, systems pressures (hydraulic, pneumatic etc) in PSI, some temperatures in Centigrade (air for example) but due to US influence a lot still in Fahrenheit (some engine temperatures).

Myself I like to use imperial for some things but metric for others. For example the meter describes shorter horizontal distance well for me but the foot does vertical. The mile is good for longer distances compared to the km, the kg is good for weight, the mm/cl describes wine and water but the pint beer or milk.

Miles though is something that people in this country have in their mental calibration of distance. Changing signs would involve a whole lot of expense and people would have to mentally recalibrate to thinking in kms when it came to conceptualising how long a journey would take...I don't really see the point.

Last edited by Volvo6; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 23:15.
Volvo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volvo6 For This Useful Post: