Thread: 740 Air Con
View Single Post
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 16:15   #11
George Holmer

Why bother thinking about how much the car is worth? Truth is, get two new tyres and some brake pads and you have spent more than the value of the car. Do you like it? Are you going to keep it? That is what you should ask yourself. I have yet to own a car which has cost me less in upgrades and repairs than the value of the car.

As for the drop in, I guess you will have to find an air con shop willing to do such a job but chances are, the bits that a conversion would replace needs replacing anyway, your canister for example, that is like a filter and does need regular replacing.

For a conversion, all you need to replace are seals and the canister. Whatever way you go you would be advised to first pressure test the system, as putting gas in a leaking system is like flushing cash down the loo and then, once the system is deemed free of leaks, you will need a fill. That's 75-100 quid already and you cannot do this yourself unless you have air con tools. If the system has not been used/working for a while, your seals are gone anyway and perhaps even one or two pipes and so they will need replacing as well. You would however be advised to replace pipes and condensors with tested, working second hand parts to save money. But test them first, before you pay!

If your car is a daily drive and you get stuck in traffic jams often enough commuting to work or maybe going on holiday to Cornwall/France, you will truly love AC and getting it right the first time will save money in the long term.

------------------------------
1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto
1995 Volvo 850 GLT 2.5 Auto
1991 Volvo 945 GL Auto
1988 Volvo 745 GL