View Single Post
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:40   #25
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh740R View Post
A guy (think his name is Paul) that runs a Volvo and Saab Repair business somewhere in London, owns a 740 Turbo which he fitted a PRV V6 Turbo to after he couldnt get anymore from the standard 4 cylinder redblock turbo.

When i last spoke to him a about 5 years ago when i purchased his old modified Cylinderhead from the redblock engine, the V6 Turbo was doing the 1/4 mile quite comfortably in the low 12's at around 113mph ish. But he was constantly blowing gearboxes so was awaiting a Corvette gearbox to come in from the states to deal with the power.

I do remember asking him how much power it had, and his reply was "i don't know, we only tune it on the road" which then led to some amusing stories of how him and his mate were trying to map it at full boost in 4th gear on public roads.
I've spoken to him too and he said that his gearbox (M46) didn't give any probs until he had over 350bhp (his guess). As he reckoned he now had about 380 it was time to find a new 'box. He also said that the early style 740 front spoiler allowed the front end to go light at 140mph, whereas the later style one still kept it planted at 160!!!