View Single Post
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 09:04   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
You are not up to speed on this and taking a very miopic view.

Presently this system prevents such traders as myself from flashing in other software unless we remove the ECU and address it directly. In this limited respect it favours Polestar and is contrary to EU legislation. Frankly it is not a great problem for me and my fellow competitors in the UK aftermarket presently as most of our customers modify older cars.

The wider aspects of this system bloody well should be of interest to you and all other owners of later model Volvos, it will limit your use and enjoyment of these cars in the widest sense, forcing owners to deal only with companies linked in to Volvo's systems: it will also prevent owners from changing many other aspects of the vehicles which must be profoundly wrong.

Regards, Don.
You so wrong here it is laughable.

It is a vanishingly small percentage of people that have any need, or desire, to enter into the realms of the computer circuitry within a car. It is also the case that these same computers are safety critical and manufacturers are completely correct in preventing people from tampering with such systems.

I repeat it is your problem, not mine or the great majority of people who simply enjoy their cars for what they are - highly sophisticated, computerised, engineering marvels that they are happy to have serviced and maintained by people who have legitimate access to the software systems within the vehicle.

I also repeat stop trying to make an issue out of nothing.u
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post: