View Single Post
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 20:12   #1
Hiesman

Default "poof" no fuel or spark..... Long.....

Put a new alternator (previous one went bad) in my 82' 244 yesterday and all was well. Started it up after getting everything back together and checked to see that the alternator was charging, let the car idle for about 10 minutes then shut it off.

Came back about an hour later started it, ran for about 10 seconds and just died.

Turned the starter over for about 1 minute straight and no start. Noticed I didn't smell any fuel, so I pulled an injector and turned the starter over and nothing. Fuel pump turns on and primes as normal when the key is turned on, but no fuel when cranking.

Decided to check for spark, nothing there also. No spark from the coil, but the coil IS getting power and the primary resistance is right at 1.0ohms where it should be.

Not sure where to go from here. If it was just fuel or spark missing it would make a little more sense to me, but both just going "poof" at once
has me confused.

My guesses are ignition control unit? If I understand correctly, the relay that turns the fuel pump off when the motor is running but the ignition is on gets it's signal from the coil pulsing telling it that the motor is running and to power the pump. Could a dead ICU cause the coil not to pulse, thus indirectly cutting fuel?

Fuel pump relay? Don't see how a bad PF relay can cut spark too.

I have ruled out the obvious, timing belt is good, fuses are all fine. Fuel in the tank ect...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.